MaryK
New User

Re: Franklin County, Ohio Siren Discussion

Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:18 pm

Hi everyone, newbie here. I could have sworn that before the pandemic Franklin County did voice testing on the first Wednesday of the month. I remember reading that it was discontinued temporarily due to the pandemic, either on their website, Twitter, or Facebook. But I'm reading here that voice testing was discontinued in early 2019. Call me weird, but I actually miss the voice testing. Was it really discontinued well before the pandemic?
Last edited by MaryK on Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:17 am

MaryK wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:18 pm
Hi everyone, newbie here. I could have sworn that before the pandemic Franklin County did voice testing on the first Wednesday of the month. I remember reading that it was discontinued temporarily due to the pandemic, either on their website, Twitter, or Facebook. But I'm reading here that voice testing was discontinued in early 2019. Call me weird, but I actually miss the voice testing. Was it really discontinued well before the pandemic?
Hello and welcome!
It was discontinued long before the virus situation. I went to college in Canal Winchester in the fall of 2019 and by that time, they had already discontinued the voice tests. The pandemic had nothing to do with the discontinuation of the voice testing, they only temporarily stopped testing every week.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

WPS4004Man

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:56 am

They discontinued voice testing due to complaints from citizens about the poor clarity of the announcements. This happened in early 2019 if I remember correctly. When the pandemic began, they stopped all testing for a few weeks, then had a very glitchy activation for a tornado warning. Im not sure what live voice would be used for in the future but they still have the ability to do it, provided it works in spite of the lack of testing.
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

Fletch

Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:28 am

Does anyone else find that the voice feature sounds better (more audible) on an omnidirectional siren as opposed to a siren that rotates?

WPS4004Man

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:58 am

Maybe up close this is true, but at a distance, since omnidirectional sirens broadcast in all directions, you’ll be hearing more than one siren doing voice, causing distortion from the slight timing differences. Rotating sirens solve this issue since they all rotate the same direction, eliminating the possibility of hearing more than one being similar volumes and causing distortion. Hopefully that made sense.
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

Xt22

Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:57 pm

So some sad news. The last T-bolt in Columbus is gone. Just like last year with the one by the bus garage. It was removed a few days ago. So Columbus has no Thunderbolt sirens left.
"Hello, I’m Jim Biersach"
-Jim Biersach 1979
Ohio Gang
Go Buckeyes!
Who dey, who dey, who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals?

Fletch

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:20 pm

The one near campus isn't there??

If anyone knows of old T-Bolt or other siren locations I'm still interested in putting a map together of the Franklin County CD system prior to the Whelens being installed in the early '80s. I have about 25 locations mostly westside and northside.

Xt22

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:41 pm

Fletch wrote:

If anyone knows of old T-Bolt or other siren locations I'm still interested in putting a map together of the Franklin County CD system prior to the Whelens being installed in the early '80s. I have about 25 locations mostly westside and northside.
From what I've seen it's gone. I live an hour away so I can't get a visual confirmation that is gone, but I've seen videos on YouTube showing the stump left by the pole. However because a recent video from a week ago appeared to show the bolt still there I'm hoping that someone can track it down and rescue it because it most likely hasn't been scrapped yet..
"Hello, I’m Jim Biersach"
-Jim Biersach 1979
Ohio Gang
Go Buckeyes!
Who dey, who dey, who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals?

OHIO Desperado

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:27 pm

Fletch wrote:

Which one?? there were two near campus.
One was over by Blankenship hall at at the building they have the excess inventory sales.
The other one was over near 10th street behind an apartment complex I think.

Mason Mattei

YouTube Username: EASsirenVids 01

Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:40 pm

Fletch wrote:

We just found a Jailbar Thunderbolt 1000 on top of the Ohio State School for the Blind. It is still standing. Although the school is private property so please be careful to take pictures off site.

Return to “Community Systems”