Tuba

Re: Franklin County, Ohio Siren Discussion

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:58 pm

nvanw27 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:02 pm
Is there a current map of Franklin County? I'm planning on making a trip down there next summer to record sirens.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 36845&z=18

All credit to Sirens of NE Ohio.

I am an editor on this map, so if there’s any mistakes please notify me.
Whelen gang

JonTishBass
YouTube Username: JW Tish

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:15 pm

Did Franklin County test 3 times today? Or am I on something. Could've sworn I heard the two analogs in Canal go off more than twice.
Jon Tish
Train & Siren Enthusiast From Groveport, OH
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

tkovack1

YouTube Username: Tommy's Sirens & Aviation

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:44 am

This is a little late, but I would like to provide a quick update on a few sirens in Dublin. Firstly, the 2750 that was located near the Dublin Entrepreneurial Center and Interstate 270 that's kinda tucked away in the trees was taken down. Well, not completely, the bottom half of the pole, the controller box and the power switch are still standing, but the siren head was removed and the pole was chopped in half it seems. I'm not sure why this was done, and I wonder when or if the siren will be replaced. Next up is the 2750 at Monterey Park, which was recently replaced by a new 2905. Although, as of January 2021, it is not hooked up yet. Lastly, the old decommissioned Fedelcode Model 2 mounted on top the Bridge Street Firehouse in Historic Dublin is still standing. I would say that it's been inactive for years now, and I believe it is just there for display, considering the fact that it still hasn't been taken down even after all of these years. I have photos of these sirens on my Instagram account @tommyssirensandaviation if you would like to take a look.

WPS4004Man

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:04 pm

The county canceled the test today, apparently due to the inauguration and some issues in downtown Columbus. I don’t know why that warrants the test being canceled, but they seem to always find an excuse not to test. I’m not sure what Dublin did today though.
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

OHIO Desperado

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:02 pm

JonTishBass wrote:
Did Franklin County test 3 times today? Or am I on something. Could've sworn I heard the two analogs in Canal go off more than twice.
Are the sirens in Canal part of Franklin, or are they part of Fairfield??

uncommonsense

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:56 pm

WPS4004Man wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:04 pm
The county canceled the test today, apparently due to the inauguration and some issues in downtown Columbus. I don’t know why that warrants the test being canceled, but they seem to always find an excuse not to test. I’m not sure what Dublin did today though.
Because there were credible threats of violence nationwide (at state capitols in particular) and sirens tend to signal emergencies?! Is this really a reason to be complaining about canceling a siren test?!

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:59 pm

kb8vul wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:02 pm
JonTishBass wrote:
Are the sirens in Canal part of Franklin, or are they part of Fairfield??
Canal Winchester's sirens are right on the edge of Franklin County. Next suburb over in Pickerington is Fairfield County.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

JonTishBass

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:36 pm

I'm pretty sure Fairfield tested, considering my brother heard sirens at my house while I was gone, and I live in Fairfield County, about 1.5 miles from the WPS-3000. No RWT for weather radios either.
Jon Tish
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

WPS4004Man

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:23 pm

Sorry for complaining. My intent was just to spread the information, because some people might not have known. But yes, I do understand why it could cause some panic if they would have tested. As for neighboring counties, and the City of Dublin, they probably don't have to worry as much, being further out from the capital.
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

JonTishBass

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:28 pm

Can we confirm that McCoy Park's WPS-4004 has the analog ESC-864 that came off of McCord Parks's WPS-3016? Cutoff pitch is the exact same, and both had their controllers swapped at around the same time period. McCord's WPS-3016 now has an ESC-2030 (like 95% of the 3016's in the county), which was originally the analog ESC-864. McCoy had a digital ESC-864 that was possibly moved to one of the more modern WPS-4004's in the county (also rumoured to being put on Minerva's 3016, but that was a couple years after McCoy's was swapped). As for Minerva's old analog 864, I believe it was put on one of the older 4004's somewhere in the Southeast part of the county. If that isn't enough to convince you, here's a video of McCord Park's 3016 when it had its analog, and here's McCoy's analog.

McCoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BjCN67jrZE

McCord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDPkMNOW-vI
Jon Tish
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

Return to “Community Systems”