tkovack1

YouTube Username: Tommy's Sirens & Aviation

Re: Franklin County, Ohio Siren Discussion

Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:29 pm

Something must've happened to the story because I can't find it anywhere in London on my part. The only recording of a Madison County test on YouTube that I know of is the RSH-10 in Mount Sterling going off in attack. There are two videos of it, one from 7/19/2013 (a Friday) and the other from 7/2/2014 (a Wednesday). I may try to message the EMA at some point to see when they test their sirens.

I personally don't think the analog ESC-864 on the McCoy Park 4004 came from the McCord Park 3000, as that one was updated with an ESC-2030 back in 2014 during the phase of when the county was upgrading the controllers on their old 3000's. I suspect that the county completely forgot about the Minerva Park 3000, so when they finally realized that one still had its analog controller they just swapped the boards of that one and the McCoy Park 4004 in either 2017 or 2018 instead of buying another new 2030 board. But who knows, I could be wrong about that.

As for Merlin Drive, it was first heard with a dual tone analog ESC-864 in July 2015 when I first recorded the Westerville Fire Department unit (which also has an analog). Before then, the Whetstone Park unit was last recorded in July 2014, and wasn't recorded again until three years later when it had already gotten updated with an ESC-2030 controller. The three units in Westerville with analog controllers all have the newer style 4004 head, which didn't come out until around 1998, and the ESC-864 was switched to digital in 1992 iirc. This leads me to believe that either those units had their heads replaced at some point, or they originally had a newer controller but eventually ended up getting retrofitted with analog ESC-864 boards for whatever reason (which I think is the more likely case). But again, I can't confirm this for sure, so I could very well be wrong.

Oh, I just remembered this. At one point, there was a second dual tone analog unit in the county besides Whetstone Park. In an old video of the McCoy Park unit (back when it had a digital 864), a dual tone Whelen can be heard winding down shortly after the McCoy Park siren winds down on both cycles. That was suspected to be coming from either the 3000 on Greenlawn Ave & S Front St, or the 3000 at Buckeye Middle School. Unfortunately, both of those weren't recorded until after they had gotten updated with ESC-2030's. If Merlin Drive and Whetstone Park did in fact have dual tone analog's at the same time at one point, then it's possible that the analog on Merlin Drive may have came from the one heard at McCoy Park.

Here's the link to the video I was referring to of the McCoy Park unit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4a-TjtF3VA

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:50 am

There are certainly still some Analogs out there, and most certainly a few undiscovered ones. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of those are dual tone as well.

I'm planning a Columbus trip for next summer, so I should be able to track down some analog units or record them.

Which units are currently confirmed to be analog?
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

JonTishBass
YouTube Username: JW Tish

Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:17 am

I know of at least 4 analog WPS-4004's in my area. The one at West Chester Golf Maintenance has one (775 hz), Canal Winchester Railroad Station has one (490 hz), Reynoldsburg Ohio Fire Academy (490 hz which used to have a high cutoff pitch), and another analog by the Reynoldsburg Elementary School (775 hz). Reynoldsburg also has a WPS-3000 which used to be an analog, but of course the controller was swapped to the bland ESC-2030. There also seems to be a mysterious 530 hz siren in my area, which would not be the Model 2 in Lithopolis, considering it failed the time I heard it.
Jon Tish
Train & Siren Enthusiast From Groveport, OH
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

tkovack1

YouTube Username: Tommy's Sirens & Aviation

Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:00 am

As of right now, All of the confirmed units with analog controllers in Franklin County include but are not limited to: Norwich Township Fire Station #82 near Hilliard, Paul S. Metzger Park in Westerville, Merlin Drive behind the W Schrock Rd. Kroger in Westerville, Westerville Fire Department, McCoy Park near downtown Columbus, Clark State Rd. & Headley Rd. in Gahanna, Ohio Fire Academy in Reynoldsburg, Taylor Road Elementary School in Reynoldsburg, Woodcrest Elementary School in Columbus (near Reynoldsburg), E Hocking Street by the RR tracks near downtown Canal Winchester, and Westchester Golf Course next to a water tower in Canal Winchester.

The Hilliard and New Albany analogs haven't been documented in a few years, but I imagine they probably still have their analog controllers on them. I've thought about going to check up on both of them at some point fairly soon.

WPS4004Man

Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:43 am

Hey guys, did anyone hear Franklin County test today? I'm pretty sure they skipped it, as I heard nothing at all when I should've heard at least 2 Whelens. I can't seem to find any news or reason why they wouldn't test.
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:57 am

WPS4004Man wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:43 am
Hey guys, did anyone hear Franklin County test today? I'm pretty sure they skipped it, as I heard nothing at all when I should've heard at least 2 Whelens. I can't seem to find any news or reason why they wouldn't test.
I didn't hear anything either. I'm staying in the Canal Winchester area right now and at noon I was listening for the siren test and never heard anything. I wondered if either I just happened not to hear it since I was inside, or if Franklin County didn't test today. After checking the EMA's Twitter feed, I found this: https://twitter.com/FCEMHS/status/13265 ... 93986?s=20

Guess they cancelled it due to Veteran's Day. Not really sure why though.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

JonTishBass
YouTube Username: JW Tish

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:05 pm

For some reason they only did 1 cycle I'm pretty sure. The heads of the analog WPS-4004's moved from where they were last Wednesday and they weren't in the 12 o'clock position, so they did go off, just not the normal amount of time.
Jon Tish
Train & Siren Enthusiast From Groveport, OH
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:04 pm

JonTishBass wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:05 pm
For some reason they only did 1 cycle I'm pretty sure. The heads of the analog WPS-4004's moved from where they were last Wednesday and they weren't in the 12 o'clock position, so they did go off, just not the normal amount of time.
Could be a shorter test due to covid.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

WPS4004Man

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:18 am

They tested this week just fine. But the last week, I'm betting they did a silent test (rotation only). I didn't hear anything that time.
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:02 pm

Is there a current map of Franklin County? I'm planning on making a trip down there next summer to record sirens.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Return to “Community Systems”