TrainsAndSirens1
YouTube Username: TrainsAndSirens1

VC Summer Nuclear is Decommissioning their sirens

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:42 am

I just found out that VC Summer near Newberry, SC will be decommissioning their nuclear sirens in 2021 because they are replacing them with WEAs (Wireless Emergency Alerts). Once was I told by the Newberry EMA back March 2020. I told EMA that it's wrong to decommission nuclear sirens. The EMA then said complain that to VC Summer.

https://www.dominionenergy.com/projects ... ition-faqs
Owner of a -130, Modulator 6048, B-Series 1003,1000B, 3016, STH-10B, Little Giant, two 5As, 2, 2T, Model B9, 2 Model Ds, 4 Model As, Faraday Type 2, OC-9, 2 AR Timers, other. Skywarn Spotter.
https://youtube.com/user/TrainsAndSirens1

HX56
YouTube Username: HX56

Re: VC Summer Nuclear is Decommissioning their sirens

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:22 am

Ouch. Definitely not the decision I'd be making.
Siren Enthusiast from Australia since 2012. Designer of the KEYTROL-K4 Siren Controller.

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:54 pm

Not smart. Just not smart. Sirens may be an old method, but they're definitely more reliable then those emergency alerts which will most likely only reach people with cellphones. Not everyone has a cellphone.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Even then just because you have a cellphone doesn't mean you're on it 24/7. Think of all the truck drivers,customer service reps, doctors or other jobs where you aren't able to get to your phone at all time. I'm a welder so I always have that helmet on.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

DRDOG101

YouTube Username: DRDOG101

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:25 pm

Not everyone has a cellphone! and even if they do, they may not have coverage.

I wonder why they are doing this in the first place.
I don't own any sirens.

I am from South Florida.

07VFDInLCD
YouTube Username: Siren Archives

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:00 pm

Not smart, and not safe. Cell phones and smartphones are an inherently unreliable method of communication. They run off batteries, which tend to fail after a certain number of cycles and age. And you can't really avoid forgetting to charge your phone if you rarely use it like I do. Also, like others have mentioned, not every person may have reliable network coverage. Not even everybody I know has Wi-Fi, let alone internet.

Here's something that has bothered me for quite a while. The danger of "BUT SOMETIMES!"

Sirens have the benefit of hard-wired connection to mains power, and, if equipped, battery and solar panel backup operation. They are evidently more reliable than cell phones and they can strike a sense of fear and danger in most people, BUT SOMETIMES they fail to sound when a command is given.

That sometimes is only some of the time. The other 98% of the time that they work, they are useful, effective, and reliable!

Sure, some designs may require some maintenance and periodic testing, but they are much, much better than only resorting to Wireless Emergency Alerts.

This is like the argument of having a Toyota Corolla vs not having a car. Yes, the Corolla will require maintenance, but it is reliable and useful if adequate maintenance is given. And, sure, you could just bike or walk, but what about the days it rains? Or snows? Or is generally unsuited to going outside?

Think about it, emergency managers of the world!
Last edited by 07VFDInLCD on Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DRDOG101

YouTube Username: DRDOG101

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:02 pm

jiachai14 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:00 pm
Not smart, and not safe. Cell phones and smartphones are an inherently unreliable method of communication. They run off batteries, which tend to fail after a certain number of cycles and age. And you can't really avoid forgetting to charge your phone if you rarely use it like I do. Also, like others have mentioned, not every person may have reliable network coverage. Not even everybody I know has Wi-Fi, let alone internet.

Here's something that has bothered me for quite a while. The danger of "BUT SOMETIMES!"

Sirens have the benefit of hard-wired connection to mains power, and, if equipped, battery and solar panel backup operation. They are evidently more reliable than cell phones and they can strike a sense of fear and danger in most people, BUT SOMETIMES they fail to sound when a command is given.

That sometimes is only some of the time. The other 98% of the time that they work, they are useful, effective, and reliable!

Sure, some designs may require some maintenance and periodic testing, but they are much, much better than only resorting to Wireless Emergency Alerts.

Yeah, they should resort to both, and maybe even resort to the local EAS system too.
I don't own any sirens.

I am from South Florida.

CD_Siren
Discord: cdsiren

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:06 pm

Everyone has to admit, this is a VERY terrible idea.
1. Not everyone has a cellphone
2. What if there is an error and the alert cannot get to phones?
3. This is a big risk of death or injury to citizens.
I still post here, but not as much as I used to. :roll:
Casual enthusiast who lives in the natural state of Arkansas.
Hoping to get a siren someday...
Not the brightest mind, but getting there.

CarolinaHurricane20

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:11 pm

Wow. Just wow. I wouldn't want to live near V.C. Summer after those sirens are decommissioned. Does anyone have an idea where the sirens will go?

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 pm

An addednum to my previous post, sirens are used to draw people to their phones. I get notifications from ebay, Twitter, weather, low battery etc. They all blend together. How will one more post stick out?

Not to mention that this is just 2 years after the California wildfires where Verizon cut phone service to EMS in the middle of a crisis situation.

I'd like to blame the bean-counters in the paint tasting department, but the whole idea of nuclear power wasn't well thought out, coming from someone in the line of fire of such plants as Davis besse and Zimmer.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

Return to “Community Systems”