एप्पल कंप्यूटर फैन
Discord: B&M AR-2000#3449

A Fresno siren system "mystery"

Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:44 pm

I was searching for any Fresno topics but came up dry so ill talk about it here. Now for context the Fresno system is made up of entirely SD-10s (I have not found any evidence of other models in the city). and was installed in the cold war. one is located on the roof of some sort of city building in downtown, another by some railroad tracks (I don't know EXACTLY where), and 2 are at the airport. Now in some point between now and the 80s antennas were installed onto them this is where things get confusing. because after this small upgrade they never test not even yearly. Fresno is not located near a cost or has tornados just the occasional thunderstorm. so is the system active to warn of bad weather? or was it given a small upgrade for nothing? there is just not enough info to confirm. all I know is that there there and they are presumably active.

Ill include a image of one of the sirens down below:
Attachments
IMG_3418.JPG
Sorry for the low quality of the image, I had to make it smaller so my computer would attach the file
IMG_3418.JPG (343.3 KiB) Viewed 3217 times

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Re: A Fresno siren system "mystery"

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:38 pm

Removed :)
Last edited by HudsonRiverSirens on Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

एप्पल कंप्यूटर फैन

Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:09 pm

10V2T wrote:
The Fresno system is part of the Los Angeles County air raid siren system. This system was last tested in the 1980s and has sat deteriorating since then. These Fresno sirens are definitely part of that system. I cannot help you with the antenna question, because I cannot conceive of a reason why they would do that, but the system is definitely inactive. If you can get a video of it running, then I'll have a fact check.
Oh Really I Thought it was its own separate System! Was it initially installed there or was it moved to Fresno at some point?

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:17 pm

एप्पल कंप्यूटर फैन wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:09 pm
10V2T wrote:
The Fresno system is part of the Los Angeles County air raid siren system. This system was last tested in the 1980s and has sat deteriorating since then. These Fresno sirens are definitely part of that system. I cannot help you with the antenna question, because I cannot conceive of a reason why they would do that, but the system is definitely inactive. If you can get a video of it running, then I'll have a fact check.
Oh Really I Thought it was its own separate System! Was it initially installed there or was it moved to Fresno at some point?
Pretty sure it was originally there.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Palmspringslocator2
YouTube Username: DesertSirens

Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:24 am

10V2T wrote:
I think the Fresno system is not related to the Los Angeles system.
The antenna could have been put there in the 80s maybe for a different activation system, just a big ol' maybe.

एप्पल कंप्यूटर फैन

Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:40 am

Palmspringslocator2 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:24 am
10V2T wrote:
I think the Fresno system is not related to the Los Angeles system.
The antenna could have been put there in the 80s maybe for a different activation system, just a big ol' maybe.
I agree with Palmspringslocator2 it is Higley unlikely for Fresno to be part of the system because, well 1: it is a bit of a distance from LA to Fresno and 2: Fresno is large enough as a city for its mayor or county officials to be in control of the system in the area.

Non-Zero
YouTube Username: GSPiedmont425
Discord: pizzaluke#9012

Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:29 am

Fresno set off their sirens for tornado warnings in the 90s
proud owner of a thunderbolt 1000A, and a 4/5 Thunderbolt 1000T

एप्पल कंप्यूटर फैन

Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:18 am

Non-Zero wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:29 am
Fresno set off their sirens for tornado warnings in the 90s
I have not heard of Fresno getting tornados but I have heard of them getting thunderstorms.

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:35 am

Some sirens are just used for storms and not tornados. The ASC T121 at the Kenwood country club is privately used for heavy weather on the golf course. If there were a tornado Hamilton county's sirens would sound, and those cover the area pretty well.

Also that's the entire purpose of thorguards.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:50 pm

Is anyone even sure these SD-10s work? That's a early production SD-10 in the picture, and if they haven't been tested for half the siren's life I'm pretty sure the sirens would just burn out if activated.
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

Return to “Community Systems”