Palmspringslocator2
YouTube Username: DesertSirens

Re: A Fresno siren system "mystery"

Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:22 pm

jacob585 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:50 pm
Is anyone even sure these SD-10s work? That's a early production SD-10 in the picture, and if they haven't been tested for half the siren's life I'm pretty sure the sirens would just burn out if activated.
Im pretty sure there is a good chance, someone managed to hotwire one of L.A's sirens and it ran a while ago.

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:46 pm

Let's not forget Clermont county's model 5QC that hasn't been run since the 80's but started ok in 2018 when the 1212 prototype that replaced it got struck by lightning. It doesn't sound good but it does sound.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

07VFDInLCD
YouTube Username: Siren Archives

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 pm

Palmspringslocator2 wrote:
jacob585 wrote:
Is anyone even sure these SD-10s work? That's a early production SD-10 in the picture, and if they haven't been tested for half the siren's life I'm pretty sure the sirens would just burn out if activated.
Im pretty sure there is a good chance, someone managed to hotwire one of L.A's sirens and it ran a while ago.
Is there a video of it, by any chance? I tried searching on YouTube with the term "la sirens sounding" and got nothing relevant.

Palmspringslocator2
YouTube Username: DesertSirens

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:47 pm

jiachai14 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 pm
Palmspringslocator2 wrote:
jacob585 wrote:
Is there a video of it, by any chance? I tried searching on YouTube with the term "la sirens sounding" and got nothing relevant.
As far as I know, there are no videos of it. Almost nothing exists of Los Angeles or Fresno.

FowlerRailProd

YouTube Username: Fowler Rail Productions

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:57 am

I have a bit more info on the System. They installed these Federal SD-10’s at almost every water pump. They removed about half of them sometime in the 1980’s presumably. Only 11 remain on their posts today. Some that were removed however, still have the cage they were in. My grandfather worked on the one at Water Pump 244 back in the 70’s when it was still active, and he said they havent tested since the late 1970’s apparently. Also, i’m almost 90% sure it isnt related with the L.A. system, as they dont use the same poles and they didnt test at the same time. What’s interesting though, is that i read a YouTube comment saying they heard one go off near Eaton Elementary in Fresno. Checked the siren map, and sure enough, the one at Sierra and Callisch is a block down. Maybe it was hotwired somehow? I did notice the box was open on google streetview.
Attachments
3D95BFF4-166A-40D2-8BF8-1223AE14850B.jpeg
Water Pump 244 Siren at Barstow and Del Mar
3D95BFF4-166A-40D2-8BF8-1223AE14850B.jpeg (659.27 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

FowlerRailProd

YouTube Username: Fowler Rail Productions

Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:38 am

एप्पल कंप्यूटर फैन wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:44 pm
I was searching for any Fresno topics but came up dry so ill talk about it here. Now for context the Fresno system is made up of entirely SD-10s (I have not found any evidence of other models in the city). and was installed in the cold war. one is located on the roof of some sort of city building in downtown, another by some railroad tracks (I don't know EXACTLY where), and 2 are at the airport. Now in some point between now and the 80s antennas were installed onto them this is where things get confusing. because after this small upgrade they never test not even yearly. Fresno is not located near a cost or has tornados just the occasional thunderstorm. so is the system active to warn of bad weather? or was it given a small upgrade for nothing? there is just not enough info to confirm. all I know is that there there and they are presumably active.

Ill include a image of one of the sirens down below:
I just discovered yet another siren type in fresno, its a GCS model 2 on the air force building at KFAT

Return to “Community Systems”