Palmspringslocator2
YouTube Username: DesertSirens

Sirens in San Bernardino, CA

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:21 pm

Hello everyone!
I noticed that there weren't any threads for sirens in San Bernardino, California, and if there was one it was from a while ago.

Information about the siren system

San Bernardino had a system of (I think) 12 or 6 sirens. I forgot the amount but definitely more than what is found. Currently, there are 2 GP Mobil Directos, 1 Model 5 with a big underskirt, and an unknown siren at the San Bernardino Depot museum. There is also a Scream Master on display at the Norton Air Force Base Museum.
The City Hall also had a GP Mobil Directo, but that was also removed.

Locations of the Sirens:

GP Directo: W Baseline St and N G St
GP Directo: Electric Ave N and W 40th St at the Tom Gould Park engulfed in trees
Model 5: San Bernardino County Fire Station 229

It is unknown where the rest of the system went. Unfound or removed.

If anyone happens to know any other locations or other information it would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit 5/7/21: Hacksaw found article. 2 locations more locations found
Last edited by Palmspringslocator2 on Fri May 07, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hacksaw

Re: Sirens in San Bernardino, CA

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:12 pm

Checking out this subject in online newspapers, I get:

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SBS19560516 ... 22-------1

"Sirens to Wail In Test Alert Five civil defense, sirens throughout San Bernardino will wail warning, at noon Wednesday during a test alert. Public participation is not planned. Alfred L. Luce, director of civil defense in San Bernardino, said the recently installed $25,000 system will be inspected by city, state and federal defense leaders. Luce said the sirens are located at the City Hall, Base Line and G Sts., 40th St. and Electric Ave., 269 S. Mt. Vernon Ave. and 26th and E Sts. The CD director remarked that radio programs would be off thp air in t t 7nt an nrtun attack would occur at noon Wednesday. "

Palmspringslocator2
YouTube Username: DesertSirens

Re: Sirens in San Bernardino, CA

Fri May 07, 2021 8:09 pm

Hacksaw wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:12 pm
Checking out this subject in online newspapers, I get:

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SBS19560516 ... 22-------1

"Sirens to Wail In Test Alert Five civil defense, sirens throughout San Bernardino will wail warning, at noon Wednesday during a test alert. Public participation is not planned. Alfred L. Luce, director of civil defense in San Bernardino, said the recently installed $25,000 system will be inspected by city, state and federal defense leaders. Luce said the sirens are located at the City Hall, Base Line and G Sts., 40th St. and Electric Ave., 269 S. Mt. Vernon Ave. and 26th and E Sts. The CD director remarked that radio programs would be off thp air in t t 7nt an nrtun attack would occur at noon Wednesday. "
I checked out that article before and saw the same locations, I couldnt find the one on 269 S. Mt Vernon Ave until just now I look behind the building. The old GP Siren mount still remains. Great find!

Return to “Community Systems”