C0mmanche

YouTube Username: Vyclops

Solving the mystery of Austin's remaining sirens.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:23 pm

For years now, I've wondered if there are more sirens in Austin than just the old Civil Defense thunderbolt at Camp Mabry.
I've never seen any other siren in Austin (excluding neighboring cities like New Braunfels or Cedar Park) and I wanted to find more.
I've made another thread on this, and someone replied linking me to another post about Austin's CD system.
Most sirens have been taken down, except for the one in Camp Mabry, and one on Fordham Lane. I never heard of that one before.

That got me to thinking, What other sirens could be sneaking around in Austin?
I knew UT had lots of DSAs, and also a Modulator or two, but what else? I decided to start researching.
Through looking extensively through the Texas siren maps, I found the thunderbolts, along with one that reminded me of something...
It was an old STH-10! I remembered someone saying there was an STH on some government complex, but I've never had much proof.
Now, I have aerial shots of the STH-10 and ground pictures. The aerial shots of the siren were regular pictures of the building, but you could see
the siren in the background. For anyone wondering, It's at the Austin State Hospital. It's pole-mounted, but I think it's inactive.

Anyway, I decided to compile all the sirens in and around Austin, into one map. I didn't add all the sirens from around Austin, but I got all I could
find in Austin. I included Cedar Park, some New Braunfels, a Georgetown Sentry 10v, and lots more. Some of these can get kinda far, but that's
for people who live in a nearing city to Austin or are willing to drive a while to get there.

Just so that people know:
The University of Texas tests its sirens on the first Wednesday @ around noon. The same goes for Cedar Park and a lot of other cities.
New Braunfels tests their sirens every Tuesday @ noon as well, which is cool. I saw mods, 2001s, and T-121s. I saw 2 mods at Schlitterbahn.

Links:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing - Austin siren map
Image - STH-10 from ground
Image - STH-10 aerial view
Image - Camp Mabry Thunderbolt 1000T
Image - Camp Mabry Thunderbolt bottom

where my fellow austin siren enthusiasts at :shock: :shock: :shock:
wee woo liker
not near any sirens
how did i get here
:shock:
i see everyone talk about how they own 8375839 thunderbolts in here but i don't own any sirens

C0mmanche

Re: Solving the mystery of Austin's remaining sirens.

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:19 pm

uhhh.... this is awkward. after seeing the updated street view, it's an eclipse 8.

could've sworn it was an STH-10, probably replaced. Hope I can find where it went, probably scrapped though. Don't get me wrong, having a siren that close to me certainly is cool, but the Eclipse-8 isn't the best siren. Definitely would've liked an STH better. If you have any further info, contact me pls

(sorry for the old-ish post bump, just thought I would share)
wee woo liker
not near any sirens
how did i get here
i see everyone talk about how they own 8375839 thunderbolts in here but i don't own any sirens

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:37 pm

Looks to me like it was an Eclipse the whole time.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

C0mmanche

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:49 am

10V2T wrote:
True. Although, I heard from an in-depth report that there is an STH-10 in Austin. I assumed that was where it was since I couldn't find any elsewhere.
But hey, at least the T-bolts are genuine.
wee woo liker
not near any sirens
how did i get here

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:57 am

C0mmanche wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:49 am
10V2T wrote:
True. Although, I heard from an in-depth report that there is an STH-10 in Austin. I assumed that was where it was since I couldn't find any elsewhere.
But hey, at least the T-bolts are genuine.
Yeah, I just thought that since Eclipse 8s and STH-10s look similar from a satellite perspective, it may have been the same siren.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

shodowhater

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:37 am

That was me who wrote that report and spoke of the STH-10, I'd only seen it from the road for a brief second and had no idea where it was for the longest time. My bad!!
"Y'know what would suck? Driving a river." - Jeremy Munyon, 2019

Return to “Community Systems”