carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:47 am

I’m suspecting that they would draw polygons based more on the path of the storm rather than where the tornado warning covers. It would be good to give others a heads up as well.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

JPPow357
YouTube Username: koisignals

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:12 pm

Just went to one of the T-128’s tests earlier, but they only went off for a minute. Doesn’t the Cincinnati area test 3 minutes?
Pretty much nothing can beat listening to Danny Harmon's railfanning videos while hunting for railroad signals in the middle of nowhere Ohio.
- Johnathan “JP” D.

mrboojay
YouTube Username: mrboojay13
Discord: mrboojay

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:22 pm

They did typically, but I thought at some point they switched to 1 minute tests, but I could be wrong.

On the other hand, Boone seems to have been doing 1 minute tests, decided to stop by Hebron's 2nd gen -SRN, and they did a 5 (I think, need to look again when I can) minute test this month. Boone is rather unpredictable still it would seem.
Proud owner of a 1986 Thunderbeam RSH-10B (Blown) and a 1954 Thunderbolt 1000A. (With 4/5)
flickr
YouTube

maxshaw

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:43 pm

Was working in Butler County today- don't know what their normal test protocol is, but they did two 3 minute alerts today. Also, on the topic of Hamilton County, didn't they used to test on the first and third Wednesday many years ago? I feel like I remember that happening when I was a little kid. Still miss the old growl alert attack sequence... But yes, they now only do a 1-minute alert- that changed a few years ago.

carexpertandy

Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:05 pm

When Hamilton County stopped the “growl, alert, attack” testing format in 2015, it was a 3-minute alert activation for a few years, then it came to be a 1-2 minute activation so that people would know the difference between a test and emergency. However, some quirks seem to keep some sirens running for a full 3 minutes it seems sometimes.

Yes, Hamilton County tested on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month from March 2000-March 2006, as I have determined from looking up old newspaper articles. They did this and increased emergency activations from 3 minutes to 5 minutes in response to the Blue Ash tornado in 1999. I believe they were the only county in the Tri-State testing on 3rd Wednesdays, and it was causing a lot of confusion for people in neighboring counties. So they switched back to 1st Wednesday only.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

mrboojay

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:14 pm

Was there anything special scheduled for either Franklin of Ohio counties, or is this a normal thing I’ve been ignorant to? Their (not sure which one) sirens just went off at 7PM sharp for 3 minutes today. Happened to be in Belleview right across the River.
Proud owner of a 1986 Thunderbeam RSH-10B (Blown) and a 1954 Thunderbolt 1000A. (With 4/5)
flickr
YouTube

carexpertandy

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:30 pm

I saw a post on the Ohio County, Indiana Sheriff’s Office Facebook page that they were conducting a siren test at 7pm today.

Doesn’t Franklin County not have a siren system? At least they didn’t used to and only volunteer fire departments had sirens.

mrboojay

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:47 pm

Oh ok thanks. And I don’t know, I don’t know much about Franklin.
flickr
YouTube

carexpertandy

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:31 am

Matt Braun (thefandude21) took a video of STH-10 next to the cell phone lot at CVG yesterday. Interestingly, it’s still active, even with the new Eclipse 8 on the garage being that close to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2b6vguBEeo

maxshaw

Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:15 am

Are the Eclipse 8 and STH 10 the only sirens owned by CVG?

Return to “Community Systems”