championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Re: Mystery siren in Eden Prairie MN

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:49 am

matthewwatson wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:05 am
it's coded it has 2 control panels and sounds coded when it starts i can hear a damper at https://youtu.be/hmPXtkWJm-E?t=10 and when the siren winds up in the attack signal it gets quieter for a bit https://youtu.be/hmPXtkWJm-E?t=71 then goes back to normal so im guessing it has a taller rotator because it needs more collector rings for running a damper the main motor and a second motor for the rotator.
i don't see a damper on the intake so it might have bean a coded aca allertor!
i forgot who but i heard it from but i heard aca made a coded allertor that was extremely short lived because of reliability issues due to having to many motors and parts. the coded allertor had a coding ring (basically a second partially rotating stator over the normal stator like the Yamaha music siren or the cheep hand crank sirens) on the stator instead. so im thinking this siren is most likely a coded aca allertor with a p-15 shroud with its motor struggling do to the snow and cold.
That... just isn't true. It has a P-15 intake, it's single tone, it's MUCH taller than an Allertor, it was installed after Allertors went out, and the sound you hear is the motor starter...
Don't just make things up and have no proof behind it. The controls are batteries, the starter, and the radio/control timer...

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:58 am

matthewwatson wrote:
it's coded it has 2 control panels and sounds coded when it starts i can hear a damper at https://youtu.be/hmPXtkWJm-E?t=10 and when the siren winds up in the attack signal it gets quieter for a bit https://youtu.be/hmPXtkWJm-E?t=71 then goes back to normal so im guessing it has a taller rotator because it needs more collector rings for running a damper the main motor and a second motor for the rotator.
i forgot who but i heard it from but i heard aca made a coded allertor that was extremely short lived because of reliability issues due to having to many motors and parts. the coded allertor had a coding ring (basically a second partially rotating stator over the normal stator like the Yamaha music siren or the cheep hand crank sirens) on the stator instead. so im thinking this siren is most likely a coded aca allertor with a p-15 shroud with its motor struggling do to the snow and cold.
What are you on about? There's very clearly not a damper on the intake, so it's not coded. What you're hearing is likely the starter. I've also never heard of this coded Allertor, nor is there any evidence I've seen of one. Some had a brake to do a Yelp signal, but no Yamaha-style coder. ACA Allertors also didn't come in 8 port single tone, only the Penetrators did.
The motor housing is taller because it's using an Alertronic's rotator which has different internals, and it's not struggling because of the cold, it's struggling because the rotor is too heavy and it's causing the batteries to run out since it's running on DC power.

Please don't spread misinformation.
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

WSAL125

YouTube Username: WSAL125

Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:08 am

matthewwatson wrote:
It's NOT coded. The possibility of it being coded is 0. ACA coded their sirens like Federal did, a damper in the intake to create a pulse signal, there is not any damper box on the intake, which means it isn't coded, it's a Performance Plus Penetrator, running off DC (which is why it struggles to gain the original pitch throughout the test), that "pulse" you hear is likely the camera mic maxing out. Also, it rotates like a T-128, which does not mean it's an Allertor.
I surf the board, I rarely post.

Owner of:

2 Model D's with the same serial, an FC, and a random PA speaker. :D

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:15 pm

matthewwatson wrote:
This is 100% absolutely baseless speculation. Nothing in here has any actual proof to back it up. There are only a few known examples of Allertors having Penetrator shrouds, and no examples of coded Allertors. In this video of a coded P-15:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=164h64j3WRw notice the large damper box and the shutter inside. This is not seen in this video. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the reason the rotator looks so tall is because the video is distorted.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

matthewwatson
YouTube Username: matt makes machines
Discord: matthew watson#6542

Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:29 pm

oh that makes since. sorry bout that
Creator of electronic toneset library (pm for details)
owner of an FCH, 2 UVs and a UV+, electrovoice 848A, MCP A400W amp, 2 200w drivers, and many home made 3D printed sirens
Future owner of an whelen vortex R3 with an ESC-2020

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:23 am

I don't think it's dying because of the rotor being so heavy. I think the drop in pitch is probably the batteries themselves going bad. It sounds like a typical DC-only siren losing speed from a drop in voltage across the batteries. It gets more stable towards the end in attack, which seems to me like a couple of those batteries are probably still fine and can maintain a charge and capacity. If the siren was struggling that bad the motor probably would have burnt up by the time this was recorded.

It looks like when ACA created this... whatever it is, they tried to just stick a DC motor on a single tone chopper to see what would happen like throwing spaghetti at the wall. They probably adapted the Alertronic's rotator to it so they wouldn't have to custom order the motor with dual shafts to accommodate the rotator's gear reducer. The question I have is whether this came before or after their VFD drive solution for the Perf+ sirens installed in Dane County. I can't fit it into a timeline since the move to using the S-7.5's chopper would have been to reduce the input power to drive the siren. Power-wise it's like they moved from that to this and back to DC with the PN-20.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Reactor Cat
YouTube Username: mrmeowmeowclaw

Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:08 pm

10V2T wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:15 pm
matthewwatson wrote:
This is 100% absolutely baseless speculation. Nothing in here has any actual proof to back it up. There are only a few known examples of Allertors having Penetrator shrouds, and no examples of coded Allertors. In this video of a coded P-15:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=164h64j3WRw notice the large damper box and the shutter inside. This is not seen in this video. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the reason the rotator looks so tall is because the video is distorted.
The rotator is so tall because I'm guessing that either A, it shipped with that rotator Because its most likely a PP-15 or, B It was a modified P-15.
I like snowmobiles and sirens. Who likes snowmobiles. I own a Skidoo Safari 447. Rare engine indeed. Want proof. DM me on discord. Contact ReactorCat#1004 :D :)

Reactor Cat

Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:53 pm

I think this may not be an ACA product. If you listen to it and compare the difference to a sentry defender, they sound the exact same. Also, their rotor mechanisms work the exact same way. Also, the defender has an intake cone just like a penetrator. There is a very high chance that I am wrong, But when you compare the 2 side by side, The mechanics work very similarly. Also one more thing. On the defender, It has about the same size rotator box like the one back up in this forum. Just the one on this forum has a longer backbox. Another thing is when someone said there was a damper on the red one but it didn't. You can hear the exact same door shut on the defender. I hope someone who knows a lot can help me.
I like snowmobiles and sirens. Who likes snowmobiles. I own a Skidoo Safari 447. Rare engine indeed. Want proof. DM me on discord. Contact ReactorCat#1004 :D :)

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:40 pm

Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:
I think this may not be an ACA product. If you listen to it and compare the difference to a sentry defender, they sound the exact same. Also, their rotor mechanisms work the exact same way. Also, the defender has an intake cone just like a penetrator. There is a very high chance that I am wrong, But when you compare the 2 side by side, The mechanics work very similarly. Also one more thing. On the defender, It has about the same size rotator box like the one back up in this forum. Just the one on this forum has a longer backbox. Another thing is when someone said there was a damper on the red one but it didn't. You can hear the exact same door shut on the defender. I hope someone who knows a lot can help me.
This is not a defender. We've already solved the mystery, it's a PN-15/PP-15/Perf+15/whatever the hell you call it.
The intake is thicker on the defender.
The defender has a different rotator system entirely. The defender's rotating parts are inside the box, while the Perf+15 has a similar rotator system to a T-128, and any enthusiast that knows what T-128 guts look like can say that these two are completely different.
The Perf+15 doesn't even have a backbox! It has a hood that covers the motor and the rotator guts and collector rings.
The horn on this is flat like that of a P-10/15, not sloped upwards.
The SS-3 was made after the Penetrators. ACA went bankrupt in 1991 and was purchased by Hormann America, which sold the PN-15 under the name RM-127, and then they replaced it with the T-128. I believe the SS-3 was sold in the mid-2000s and went out in the late-2000s/early-2010s.
Please research before you post, so you can make a more educated answer...
With all that said, I'll state again that this is in no way shape or form an SS-3.
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

Reactor Cat

Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:48 pm

championsiren wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:40 pm
Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:
This is not a defender. We've already solved the mystery, it's a PN-15/PP-15/Perf+15/whatever the hell you call it.
The intake is thicker on the defender.
The defender has a different rotator system entirely. The defender's rotating parts are inside the box, while the Perf+15 has a similar rotator system to a T-128, and any enthusiast that knows what T-128 guts look like can say that these two are completely different.
The Perf+15 doesn't even have a backbox! It has a hood that covers the motor and the rotator guts and collector rings.
The horn on this is flat like that of a P-10/15, not sloped upwards.
The SS-3 was made after the Penetrators. ACA went bankrupt in 1991 and was purchased by Hormann America, which sold the PN-15 under the name RM-127, and then they replaced it with the T-128. I believe the SS-3 was sold in the mid-2000s and went out in the late-2000s/early-2010s.
Please research before you post, so you can make a more educated answer...
With all that said, I'll state again that this is in no way shape, or form an SS-3.
In case you were not dumb and didn't read anything I posted and give me negative karma, They sound the exact same, and the rotator works the exact same as a sentry defender. Another thing is that you can see where they extended the red one. The sentry defender's rotator box is below the siren. But the one in Eden Prairie is extended with no rotator box below. ACA never made a siren with a rotator box that tall or slim. Sentry made their defenders with a round back or square back. I think it's a modified defender with an ACA intake and projector. Also one more thing. The defender has the same startup click as the one in Eden Prairie. And I have only seen this on sentry sirens. And this is the last thing. ACA rarely made mechanical sirens pared with DC sirens. So you cant say im wrong cause you have no proof of backing your stuff up.

Return to “Mystery Sirens”