एप्पल कंप्यूटर फैन
Discord: B&M AR-2000#3449

Re: Post your Mystery Sirens here.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:52 am

oliveoil22 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:26 am
This has probably been posted here in the past as a bad quality street view image, but what do you guys think this thing is in Ripon, CA? I'm kind of thinking it's some sort of modified Federal Model X (Due to the little maintenance door at the bottom segment of the housing), but I'd like to hear what you guys think:
Where was this located in ripon? I would like to visit this siren.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:31 am

archizackture wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:29 pm
10V2T wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:45 pm
The Alertronic is also on the Piedmont side, so keep that in mind.
IIRC I read that the Alertronic is only visible from the Piedmont side, not that it's physically located there. I could be wrong.

Since this discussion is getting long, I would suggest creating a new thread just about the Luke Alertronic, though I don't know if we'll have any more information to contribute anytime soon. I live 90 minutes from there but don't have any reason to travel in that direction in the foreseeable future.
Here's your Alertronic. It looks like an AR/RE-1600. I was able to confirm its location using Google Earth's Historic View. The imagery from April 2008 has the sun casting its shadow on the nearby structures. It doesn't look like it's rotated in a while, so I'm thinking either its chain is broken or it's no longer in service. It was still standing as of 2018. If someone ever drives through the area with a camera with good zoom wants to take a picture of it you can get a clear shot of it from the road across the river.

Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:55 pm

It's a 6000R. Rheems1 confirmed this and took pics in 2009 (https://www.airraidsirens.net/forums/vi ... ati#p61306). The only thing that was being debated was its locating. That is very cool and I'm glad both sirens are finally found!
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:10 pm

DJ2226 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:31 am
Here's your Alertronic. It looks like an AR/RE-1600. I was able to confirm its location using Google Earth's Historic View. The imagery from April 2008 has the sun casting its shadow on the nearby structures. It doesn't look like it's rotated in a while, so I'm thinking either its chain is broken or it's no longer in service. It was still standing as of 2018. If someone ever drives through the area with a camera with good zoom wants to take a picture of it you can get a clear shot of it from the road across the river.
This is excellent work! I'm fairly sure you're the first person to actually pinpoint it on a map. Thank you.
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:29 am

Some_3t22s wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:46 am
Synther wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:27 pm
Air powered B&M.
How does that work exactly? I'm assuming something in that rear part has to do with it where something like a fan's spun by air.
Instead of an electric motor a stream of pressurized air turns a turbine which turns a siren. It was controlled by a solenoid controlled most likely by a radio receiver or telephone activated relay. The air probably came from the Santa Fe shops mentioned in the photo. Railroad shops use air to drive impact wrenches (NASCAR tire changer style), rotary cutters, and other tools as well as charge train air brakes. This was known as "Yard air".

I know Sirenco still makes an air powered siren today. One advantage of air powered sirens is they are EMP proof and blackout resistant.(As long as you have air and a valve to manually control them).
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

Kasey
YouTube Username: Kasey
Discord: Kasey#9793

Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:22 pm

uncommonsense

Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:23 pm

These are legit 408s. Nice find.

No one is chopping down sirens in the field. There is nothing mysterious about that.

Some_3t22s
Discord: Devvendorf#5542

Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:07 pm

This is just an assumption but I think all 3 of those may be inactive (or at least the third one). Regardless, cool find.
Iowan citizen in a land of T-128s, 2001s and 4004/4008s among many others.

"The middle class worker wouldn't want to work on a whole bridge, a half bridge is much easier."
-Jack

uncommonsense

Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:16 am

Some_3t22s wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:07 pm
This is just an assumption but I think all 3 of those may be inactive (or at least the third one). Regardless, cool find.
Yes. Been replaced by Whelen Vortexes in 2004.

Kasey
YouTube Username: Kasey
Discord: Kasey#9793

Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:35 pm

uncommonsense wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:23 pm
These are legit 408s. Nice find.

No one is chopping down sirens in the field. There is nothing mysterious about that.
Oh sweet!

Return to “Mystery Sirens”