Daniel

Unusual level crossing signal with siren!

Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:53 pm

I found this today. The description states that an air raid siren was used instead of a bell, but I cannot tell exactly what the siren is. Perhaps a pair of Model L's?

The description from the site is as follows: "Siren Crossing Picture of the famous Siren or Screaming crossing as the locals around here used to call it. This device had neon lights and an air-raid siren that could be heard all over Grenada. This device was developed by W.A. Billups, a Grenada native. This crossing had numerous deadly accidents, one of which was someone in his family and thus inspired him to create this unique warning device. Mr.Billups tried to market his invention but the idea never took off and to my knowledge, this was the only one ever built. The device was installed in 1940 and lasted until 1970. The crossing is still here but all that remains of this device is the concrete blocks that supported it. Picture was taken sometime in 1940."

Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

r4tbolts

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Cool, one thing for sure the sign didn't mince words. "Death" and a Jolly Roger LOL.

CSX4617

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:43 pm

Huh! They should have these installed at every other railroad crossing! LOL Especially highway crossings! :lol:
STOP BULLYING ME AND OTHERS!

SirenMadness

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:21 am

This would complete any hardcore railfan's collection of relics. :lol:
~ Peter Radanovic

Nimhster

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:36 pm

This was on rxrsignals.net's message board a little while ago. If you go to that crossing today, the cement bases are still there and the signals are gateless with just lights and a bell.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”