PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

My new...Darley Champion?

Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:53 am

Recently my mother and I have begun hitting antique stores a lot more than usual, for differing reasons. Occasionally, if we find a store that looks like it has a lot of "rusty gold", I'll ask if they have any sirens, horns, bells, etc. for the heck of it. 9 times out of 10 the answer is either a variation on "no" or something I wasn't looking for. This was that 1 other time...

This Darley Champion came from the fairly sleepy village of Paxico, Kansas. It's an odd bird - it reminds me an awful lot of a Model L, actually. I've certainly never seen anything like it before, in the field or in someone else's hands. It runs off 110V, and perfectly well at that, though it needs a new cord and therefore won't be making much noise for a while.

At some point within the next day or two I'll be uploading audio of some growls I did with it. No full-power runs though; the electrical cord is technically, in its current state, a fire hazard.

Anyway, enough of my yakking, on with the photos!

Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

connerdstines

Re: My new...Darley Champion?

Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:40 am

Does look like a model l/d rotor and stator, and that housing sure is sexy. I wonder how many of these beauties there are in the wild.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

gman 1
YouTube Username: Gargar 14

Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:59 am

Does it work? Do you know or have a theory of what it was once used for?
Whatever you do, don't push that big red button🔴!!!

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:12 am

gman 1 wrote:Does it work? Do you know or have a theory of what it was once used for?
VASirens wrote:At some point within the next day or two I'll be uploading audio of some growls I did with it. No full-power runs though; the electrical cord is technically, in its current state, a fire hazard.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

gman 1
YouTube Username: Gargar 14

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:24 am

Sorry, sometimes my eyes skip lines when reading. In band, I'll find myself a line ahead of everyone else because I skipped a line.
Whatever you do, don't push that big red button🔴!!!

Daniel

Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:09 am

I can't tell by the photo. Is this roughly the same size as a Model A/D/L or is it larger?
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:08 pm

I decided to do a little bit of searching in Paxico, Kansas, and I think I found your siren prior to its removal, on this nifty little tower on the old FD:

https://goo.gl/maps/5VS7a

The village also has a Sentry 16V1T-B (at least I think it is) and a single headed Federal Lion that are across the street from each other. I assume the sentry is for storm warnings, and the federal is for fire, or something.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

connerdstines

Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:12 pm

If you look a little closer that's a model j.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.067196, ... !1e1?hl=en

But 3 sirens within 100 feet of each other? Still awesome. I did some looking and could not find the siren in question, it may have been installed alongside the j at some point.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Brendan W wrote:I decided to do a little bit of searching in Paxico, Kansas, and I think I found your siren prior to its removal, on this nifty little tower on the old FD:

https://goo.gl/maps/5VS7a

The village also has a Sentry 16V1T-B (at least I think it is) and a single headed Federal Lion that are across the street from each other. I assume the sentry is for storm warnings, and the federal is for fire, or something.
That is, as Conner said, a Model J. I found and photographed all three, 16V1T-B and all, before even thinking of going in the store where the Champion surfaced. (My policy on photography is simple: if I see it, I photograph it. :wink:)
Daniel wrote:I can't tell by the photo. Is this roughly the same size as a Model A/D/L or is it larger?
It's about the same size as my Model A. I'll see about doing a side-by-side comparison at some point.
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:17 pm

It almost looks like a Tempest 135 with a housing like that! Very nice grab! It is also nice to see a Model J like my own still in service in places.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”