q2bman

Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:45 am

I'm still going with Buell horns in chrome, they seem to be in the middle of two grover emergency horns. If you look you can see that the grovers are no where to be seen on the truck. They have to be next to the "train horns" under the bumper. I know buell sells horns to emergency vehicle. Train horns use way too much air. They have a 3/4" air inlet and would deplete the trucks air tank in a hurry.

q2bman

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:41 pm

Also, you seldom will find a true train horn in chrome. They are usualy cast alluminum and are very thick. The horn on the second engine are not train horns either, they are wolo "trucker's train" horns. They are wanna-b's. A true train horn will be mounter on a manifold in a cluster and not straight accross like the first rig. Nice sound. Though very loud, not a train horn. And not a k-5.

zetronist

Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:59 pm

Check out this link to see the 1979 Mack FDNY Rescue 3. Check out the train horns on the top of the truck.

http://www.fdnyrescue3.com/apparatus/1979mack.html

The interesting thing was that the button controlling these horns was mounted in the rear of the truck, so the chauffeuer never knew when the guys in the back were going to blast it.

I buffed a couple of tours with one of my friends who was a lieutenant on Rescue 3 back in the 1980s.

John

Robert Gift

ridiculous

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:29 pm

Could not see the video, but what a big waste of money and overkill.
Anyone know how much those train horns cost?

Guess what will happen to those low-mounted airhorns from snow, slush and ice, or a big dip in the road?

Ridiculous.
1 Q is good enough.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”