q2bman

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:46 pm

Jim_Ferer wrote:Years ago, my department had a policy of using the siren all the time.

It's the cars you don't see that are the problem.

Agreed! And something people seem to forget is the pedestrian traffic. Several accidents occured at my old dept. as officers responded to situations where they could not use the siren, I.E. hostage situations, burglaries in progress, Etc. Pedestrians would step out in front of patrol cars. :roll: Look both ways...Yadda yadda.
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Daniel

Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:47 pm

With regard to Mexican drivers in Mexico, they are generally far more observant than the average American driver for things like cars emerging from side streets or sudden changes. Certain other areas such as close following distance, cut-offs, running red lights, and the like are technically illegal but so commonplace that drivers and police are generally ambivalent to them. The problem is with the police. In many cities, most notably Mexico City, police will often drive with some portion of their light bars (usually wig-wags) always on just to emphasize their authority. Drivers are so accustomed to seeing police lights that it has less of an impact when the full light bar is activated for real emergencies or traffic stops. Also, many drivers have taken to replacing their car's horn with a car alarm siren, thus making genuine police sirens less effective.

q2bman

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:43 pm

must be easy to avoid a speeding ticket!! :lol:

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:54 pm

Hi-Lo is technically not allowed for use as a warning signal in the state of California, but its perfectly fine IF you have another siren sounding wail or yelp at the same time (such as the SA441 magnum siren). Personally Hi-Lo is my favorite siren tone. When I used to be on the fire dept, every chance I got, our Code 3 siren was on Hi-Lo!

Daniel wrote:Robert,
I don't believe that hi-lo is banned in California, because I've heard ambulances in LA activate a fast-moving "Martinshorn" that seemed to be connected to their turn signals. Presumably this was to clear an intersection. In Oregon, hi-lo is not considered a standard siren sound and is rarely used. That's why I used to have an Italian "Martinshorn" under the hood of my old Audi 200T.

Jim_Ferer

Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:11 pm

?With regard to Mexican drivers in Mexico, they are generally far more observant than the average American driver for things like cars emerging from side streets or sudden changes.?

That?s defensive driving where the defense is really needed.

?In many cities, most notably Mexico City, police will often drive with some portion of their light bars (usually wig-wags) always on just to emphasize their authority.?

They do that in Puerto Rico, too. Police lights there are generally green.

Jason and Daniel,

After spending time in Germany, I was impressed how well those hi-lo air horns work as a warning signal. I would definitely use them in conjunction with a siren on wail, using the horns for intersections and as a ?whip.?

Speaking of Germany, emergency vehicles get complete respect and obedience there. Actually, *all* traffic laws get complete respect and obedience in Germany.

Robert Gift

Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:09 am

Jim_Ferer wrote:Years ago, my department had a policy of using the siren all the time.

It's the cars you don't see that are the problem.
I HATE SUCH AN INCONSIDERATE POLICY.

I have madentire runs without sounding the siren, or sounding it only a few times just as needed.

Yes, the unseen vehicles can be a big problem.

I was heading north against red.
All east and westbound traffic at the major intersection had stopped well before we goto it. Great!

But westbound lane # 2 was vacant.

Since I could not see around westbound vehicles in 2 lefturn lanes and lane #1 through-lane, I nearly stopped.

Some idiot, oblivious why ALL traffic on BOTH sides of him was stopped for a green signal, zoomed through his vacant lane athe speed limit; 35 mph!

He almost hithe front of my vehicle as I nosed forward, right-aimed blinking LED shining right at him!

I don't blame him for proceeding throughis empty lane.

But I'd slow way down suspecting something; a dog in the intersection, a person crossing or an EV.

This would have been a good occasion to have right and left-facing siren speakers -if there were such things. Our forward-facing speakers aim too much sound forward.
Worked well as we approached the intersection, but once in it was all aimed beyond.
Last edited by Robert Gift on Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

q2bman

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:52 pm

:D That's where the Q comes in to play Robert. You sound a Q siren and the sound projects side to side more than ahead. I gaurentee that car would have stopped! Thos bad boys DEMAND attention.

Robert Gift

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:28 pm

q2bman wrote::D That's where the Q comes in to play Robert. You sound a Q siren and the sound projects side to side more than ahead. I gaurentee that car would have stopped! Thos bad boys DEMAND attention.
Ya, I knew you'd say dat!

We don't have a Q on thExpedition, nor room for one, nor alternator
for amperage output for one, nor dual batteries to supply the amps.

But that guy had all windows up and probably his stereo blaring.
It scared the crap out of him and he came to a stop just beyong the intersection.

Hope he learned a lesson: Just slow down when things don't look right.

Another case:
I'm heading east approaching a two-lane northbound oneway with it's left lane vacant.
Two vehicles in the right lane stopped .
Vehicle #3 pulled out and passed the others and was heading right at me.
I accelerated to get out of his way so he wouldn't smack the rear of my vehicle.
Was #3 was on drugs, or angrily looking at the front guy to see why he stopped for a green signal andidn't see the EV.

loudmouth

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:46 am

I was in Boston today with my firend doing some train searching. When I heard 2 diffrent electronic sirens calling out. Waching for were it was comeing from I saw one of Bostons super EMT rigs http://www.boston-ems.com/NewGMC02.jpg all tho this one was a littel beat up it now had 4 siren speakers on it. Just seeing the push bumper should tell you how drivers are this way.... even with the driver doing all he could the traffic still barely even moves out of the way ...

Robert Gift

Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:42 am

loudmouth wrote:I was in Boston today with my firend doing some train searching. When I heard 2 diffrent electronic sirens calling out. Waching for were it was comeing from I saw one of Bostons super EMT rigs http://www.boston-ems.com/NewGMC02.jpg all tho this one was a littel beat up it now had 4 siren speakers on it. Just seeing the push bumper should tell you how drivers are this way.... even with the driver doing all he could the traffic still barely even moves out of the way ...
Yes. A lot of vehicles have nowhere to move out of the way.
Unless th.is a failure/reluctance to yield right of way.
Then, they should have a dashcam and issue tickets to all who deserve them.
Sometimes Aurora P.D. has followed me and issued tickets.

Did they have two different sirens, each feeding two speakers?
You degrade performance adding any more than two speakers to one electronic siren.

My idea would have a momentary pushbutton switch direct power to the side-facing speakers when arriving at an intersection. Letting off the button would reconnect the forward-facing speakers.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”