loudmouth

Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:20 pm

i figure they must have 4 speakers and 2siren units.
that dascam idea would have the city makeing alot of money due to violations the camra would cach.
its amaseing how people dont like to move out of the way just by pulling over 3 or 4 feet.

Robert Gift

Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:56 pm

loudmouth wrote:i figure they must have 4 speakers and 2siren units.
that dascam idea would have the city makeing alot of money due to violations the camra would cach.
its amaseing how people dont like to move out of the way just by pulling over 3 or 4 feet.
Two siren units? They must be rich.

Still, I like my idea better, plus it is not constantly aiming sound into homes, schools and businesses when not at intersections. (I have extra TS100 speakers here, wish I could mounthem somewhere on the Expedition. In front wheel wells?!)

That is really sad if Massholes are THAT selfish and inconsiderate.
What is this, Mexico?

Ticket fines would more than pay for the dash-cams if that be the case.

I bet just ANNOUNCING such a program would cause better driving.
Also they should have an education campaign with it.
(Ft. Collins, CO has street signs informing us to pull right for EVs.)

As a former AAA driver instructor, I know people are afraid to pull right for fear they will hit something. (Right lane changes are the most difficult and scary maneuver to make.)
LEFT lane changes are easier because we can better see and judge where we are.

When traveling on a three-lane street with raised medians, many drivers in lane 2 (middle) will pull left and go against the median curb and stop.
Even though IDEALLY we should be in lane 1, we often wind-up in lane 2 or straddling the line between lanes 1 and 2. (A Denver Police assifer once yelled at me for not traveling in lane 1. Well, everyone in lane one pulled left and stopped againsthe curb and lane 2 was mostly empty.
Was I to pull behind the parked vehicles and try to get them to move right? Many could not even go forward to move right.)

People DO try to help, but I know many are unsure about their own vehicle's clearance and are afraid to move right too far.
(It may look too close when they still have 3 feet to go!)

I also misjudge the Expedtiton and often park further away than the one inch I want to be from the curb. (I don't want to scuff the tires.)
Last edited by Robert Gift on Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Gift

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:26 pm

JasonC wrote:Hi-Lo is technically not allowed for use as a warning signal in the state of California, but its perfectly fine IF you have another siren sounding wail or yelp at the same time (such as the SA441 magnum siren). Personally Hi-Lo is my favorite siren tone. When I used to be on the fire dept, every chance I got, our Code 3 siren was on Hi-Lo!

Daniel wrote:Robert,
I don't believe that hi-lo is banned in California, because I've heard ambulances in LA activate a fast-moving "Martinshorn" that seemed to be connected to their turn signals. Presumably this was to clear an intersection. In Oregon, hi-lo is not considered a standard siren sound and is rarely used. That's why I used to have an Italian "Martinshorn" under the hood of my old Audi 200T.
Thanks, Jason.
I was just in L.A. for two days and heard a hi-lo HORN in a responding fire dept vehicle - think it was an ambulance/rescue.
Yes, they did have WAIL also at the same time.

Those two horns sounded electric. Are they?

Still, ONE siren is enough.
I'm all for a louder air horn only for drivers not hearing the siren.

(Our greatest problem is coming upon semis in the left lane on Interstates. These guys mean well -- they just can't hear the siren
in sound-proofed cab with huge trailer in the way.)
We need a handheld spotlight to shine UP into their left rearview mirror.

Robert Gift

Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:58 pm

loudmouth wrote: Just seeing the push bumper should tell you how drivers are this way.... even with the driver doing all he could the traffic still barely even moves out of the way ...
Why the push-bumpers?

They can'touch any other vehicle to move them out of the way.

Can they offer assistance in pushing a vehicle stuck in snow?

Or maybe it is to enable a fire truck to push THEM out of snowithout causing damage to theirig.
But I'd rather use a tow strap.

We have an old 6WD 2,500 gallon tender which is great in snow.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”