loudmouth

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:36 pm

new yorks staties have red light bars which my firend found out very well when he hit a speed trap. but most are older all strobe or just all rotor with wig wag lights.

Robert Gift

blue

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:09 pm

My father, when a volunteer in McCandless Township, PA also had a blue light supplied by the department. I bet it is a PA requirement.

Jim_Ferer

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:06 pm

loudmouth wrote:new yorks staties have red light bars which my firend found out very well when he hit a speed trap. but most are older all strobe or just all rotor with wig wag lights.
The New York State Police had Federal Street Hawks for years. Now I'm starting to see LEDs on slick-roof cars, especially Explorers.

New Jersey didn't allow strobes for a long time, esepcially on the Turnpike; everything had to be rotator. Now they're going with LEDs, although it will be years before the switchover is complete.

(I work for a big contractor. We use lots of amber lights. New Jersey wouldn't allow us the strobes on the Turnpike, but now they're allowing us LEDs. I have an LED traffic director on my company car.)

squad2498

LED's

Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:38 am

I got them from a buddy fof mine fromt he squad. Yes they are both clear. YOu can't see the blue in the LED strip. Mmm I might wan to go to Auto Zone and get some hide aways too.. AS you can see I'm slowely "whackerizing" my Jeep. Mine would cost probably 250 ish? And no thats not 2.50. You can ge the Knight Rider thingy too. Checkl Galls. Strobes are too bulky for dash mounting for me. Ya know I hate being picky here butt hats what I like.

Robert Gift

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:30 pm

I got them from a buddy of mine from the squad.
Do they no they're missing?
Yes they are both clear. YOu can't see the blue in the LED strip. Mmm I might wan to go to Auto Zone and get some hide aways too.. AS you can see I'm slowely "whackerizing" my Jeep. Mine would cost probably 250 ish? And no thats not 2.50. You can ge the Knight Rider thingy too. Checkl Galls. Strobes are too bulky for dash mounting for me. Ya know I hate being picky here butt hats what I like.

LED stuff can be made very shallow and lightweight and durable.

I'd like to get rid of the Streethawk on my green Expedition to gain full economy from less wind drag and look better. For some reason, people think I'm a cop (30's woman even flagged me down though Aurora PD drives well-marked white sedans) and drivers go LESS than the speed limit when I want to go the limit.

You may really like the STT LEDs. Not as bright as EV stuff, but not much dimmer and MUCH less expensive. I want to clip one in each side window
at the top and roll up the window. Then remove when not needed.

KnightFox

Re: LED's

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:09 pm

squad2498 wrote: You can ge the Knight Rider thingy too.
Those Knight Rider scanners are cheap knock offs. For the real effect, you buy the JCwhitney version and up it from 35 watt bulbs to 55watt bulbs and buy a custom housing that you can find thru knightrideronline.com

Robert Gift

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:17 am

Are you guys talking about some kind of lights and cowling in which they would fit?

This is a Ford Expedition.

I went to Knightrideronline and didn't see anything.

Their web site apparently does not consider complete niave novices
who don't know what to do. I mean, I don't even knowhat it's about!

Was Knightrider a TV series?

I would like to get all lights inside the vehicle to improve fuel mileage
and not have that black intimidating Streethawk monstrosity on the roof making many think I'm a cop.

Would like to place red and blue LED lights at the top of the side windows where they would be held in place by closing the windows on clips whichold the lights just above the window frames so they do not impede
vision. Then take them down whenot needed.

The big high wigwagging headlights do a great job.
Then lights shining through the top front windshield.
But it has that darkened sun screen margin at the top.

I found thathe better the EV lights, the less need for siren which disturbs everyone - not just those on the street or intersections.

(I improved the Streethawk with Cool-Blue headlight bulbs and adding strobes parted from a Whelen)

I've had some "perfect runs" where I did not use the siren at all.
One evening going from home to Denver blood center to Ft. Collins
hospital without disturbing the peaceven once!

KnightFox

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:20 pm

robert gift wrote:I went to Knightrideronline and didn't see anything.

Their web site apparently does not consider complete niave novices
who don't know what to do. I mean, I don't even knowhat it's about!

Was Knightrider a TV series?

I would like to get all lights inside the vehicle to improve fuel mileage
and not have that black intimidating Streethawk monstrosity on the roof making many think I'm a cop.
Yes Knight Rider was a TV series, However if you went to their links page, they have a catagory called "Conversions" mainly based on people who want to convert their Fbody trans am/firebird into a Knight Rider Replica. The site I'm specifically talking about (i forget it last night) was Marks's Custom Kits and Lectric Enterprises

Mark makes custom housings for the 20 dollar JCwhitney scanner (which would need modification to handle the 55 watt bulbs) and Lectric makes everything from scratch

Now there is Knightlights.uk.com which makes LED scanners, but their not as flashy as a in-your-face Knight rider scanner

As for getting the lights inside, I was gonna buy a scanner and mount it between to slots in my grille on my '87 Blazer

Robert Gift

LEDs

Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:08 pm

The wigwag headlights outshine everthing else on the front of the vehicle.

Lights in the grill are not worth their power consumption.
One dept placed strobes in the front. But with headlights on at night, they
are difficult to seeven when looking for them, which means they are ineffective. A very expensive waste of money.

Wigwags at daytime also make grillights ineffective by comparison.

I did put the Xenon (fake HID) bulbs in the headlights.
But wonder how long their highbeam filaments will last from all the blinking.
Must find a way to keep a steady voltage on them when they are in the OFF phase so thathey will not cool as much and would experience less thermal shock.

You'llaugh, while watching the Broncos lose one winter day, I drilled 32 small holes through each inside headlight reflector precisely matching the 32 LEDs of a round LED Stop/Turn/Tail. The LEDs now shine directly right and left out of the headlight fictures for intersections. But the headlight reflector is hardly diminished by the smalLED holes.

Daniel

Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:20 pm

Different states have different requirements about blue lights. In New York, some garbage trucks have used them. In parts of Canada I've seen blue and amber used on construction vehicles. In California, blue indicates the presence of an armed officer, and they are very strict about that. You'll be cited even if you have blue cab markers or blue neon on your license plate. Of course, nearly everything is illegal in California except those beautiful "blue dot" taillight inserts which make your brakes appear purple from a distance (I had them on my '73 Beetle).

In Oregon, blue is supposed to be reserved for police use only, but an increasing number of fire vehicles and ambulances are showing up with blue sections on their light bars. Blue lights are everywhere in Washington too. Also, green beacons may be used on a fire vehicle in either state to designate a command center. Purple is not used around here, since most funeral processions have an amber rotator on the hearse or lead vehicle. Interestingly, I knew a priest in Omaha who slapped an amber light on his roof whenever he had to rush to the hospital to assist a dying person.
Roatars are only good of you have a fast flash.
It's nice to see the fast-moving European rotators appearing on construction vehicles here. They are much more attention-grabbing than the slow, four light sealed-beam type. Two intense blue Hella rotators on the roof of a German or Irish police car attract my attention faster than a whole rack of strobes.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”