q2bman

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:58 am

:oops: forgot the link!

here's the yelping Eq2B i found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jBYxyd8 ... department

Robert Gift

Fire truck crash?

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:20 pm

I heard an Aurora, CO truck responding with Q sounding.

Suddenly, nothing.

They must have hit something that instantly stopped and destroyed the
siren. They are mounted on the left front bumper.

Later, I learned of the new eQs and that Aurora had replaced some q2bs.
They had clicked off the siren without any windown.

Our Unitrol 80K through TS-100 speakers is LOUDER!

I believe both styles of the eQ grill reflects or cancels too much sound.
Or the two 100 watt opposed drivers into the inefficient square speaker box loses sound coupling efficiency. I see no exponential flare.

The TS 100s are more efficient at coupling sound energy to air.
But the old chrome bullet-shaped with long cones were the best and loudest. If they weren'too big to fit, I'd use them behind the grill.

Our TS100s are straight forward and unobstructed.
Better efficiency = louder than the slim versions.

q2bman

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:02 pm

ever tried the BP 100?

That was a loud siren. Problem was it was very heavy. Mounted on a front bumper that thing will scream.

I would choose BP 100 or 200
then the TS 100 or 200 watt

those new slim line jobs are not any good.

The eQ sirens are a good reproduction of the Q siren's sound, but not sound level or dispertion. I agree.

Robert Gift

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:15 pm

I can't remember what is the BP100. Smaller totally round projector?

Are the bullet sirens with long cones CP 100s?

All drivers are 100 watt.
For 200 watt they just have two 100 W drivers in the speaker unit.

Also, we have a "Y" connecting two 100 watt drivers to one cone/projector, but two separate speakers each with a 100W driver is better.

I agree with you that slim are not as loud further out.
But they claim to have the same db output at 10 feet as the larger
exponential units.

Interestingly, sound dispersement right and left is better if the speakers
are placed one ABOVE the other.
We don't have the room for that.
So they are side by side which disperses sound more up and down.

Often the sound is projected too far forward and not enough left or right.
We need a speaker projecting left and right to be sounded only at intersections. Well, at least left towards immediate oncoming traffic .

Vehicles will see the EV sitting at an intersection and think it is
parked. (This is the fault of police standing with ALL lights needlessly operating for traffic stops, etc.) (They must stop this practice.)

By the time those drivers hear the siren, and realize the EV is NOT parked, it is often too late to slow and stop.

Heading west, we could have been hit by a nice, new northbound Wyoming diesel pickup in lane 1 (closest to middle).
Vehicles in lane 3 had stopped, so we continued up to lane 2.
Lane 2 vehicles also stopped and we progressed further out into the intersection.
Though the WY vehicle in lane one could clearly see the EV touching her lane, and she had AMPLE time (4-5 seconds) to slow and stop,
I saw no sign (front of vehicle dipping) that she was slowing and DID NOT proceed.
She drove right on past.
A speaker aimed 90 degrees left may have helped.

(Many women, especially blacks and Hispanics, are slow to react. It is though they know and want to stop, but their vehicle is carrying them forward and there is nothing they can do about it. They mean well. They look very apologetic as they pass by unable to take charge or control.)

q2bman

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:27 pm

The BP 100 is the square qube that's real heavy. Has similar qualities to the ts in that it has a small re-entry cone. Sounds good. The slim speaker have a sharp high pitch to them. I thought they were piezo (spelling?) type and not inductive coil type speakers. You know, like a tweeter vs. a woofer. Well, the ts and the bp are more deep in tone quality. I like it. The old sirens used the old coil type amps that would get even deeper in tone if you had two speakers. I don't know if this happens anymore now that all sirens are going digital. Well, the police here in Texas turn most of the overhead lights off when they pull someone over. Makse it less confusing like you said to observing someone running "hot".

What about placeing two slim lines next to eachother and angleing them 45 deg. away from eachother? Better intersection warning, what about forward?

Robert Gift

speak up

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:41 am

The BP 100 is the square qube that's real heavy.
Oh, yes. Thanks.
Has similar qualities to the ts in that it has a small re-entry cone. Sounds good. The slim speaker have a sharp high pitch to them.

That would make sense. Lacking a longer exponential path = less efficient accoustic coupling of lower frequencies.
That is why the TS and CPs are better; longer and more gradual exponential flare, especially the CP 100s witheir long cone.

I thought they were piezo (spelling?) [Correct!] type and not inductive coil type speakers.

Could piezo work for high output use?

You know, like a tweeter vs. a woofer. Well, the ts and the bp are more deep in tone quality. I like it. The old sirens used the old coil type amps that would get even deeper in tone if you had two speakers.

You don't want the speaker to sound below 500Hz or the driver coil may burn out. So they have a cut-off above that.

I don't know if this happens anymore now that all sirens are going digital. Whether digital or other origin, I believe the same square wave signal goes to the speakers.

Well, the police here in Texas turn most of the overhead lights off when they pull someone over. Makse it less confusing like you said to observing someone running "hot".

Good! Also discourages lookyloos (like me) who sometimes cause other accidents. Thanks for telling me. I shall use it to inform Arapahoe
County of Tx's BETTER practice.

What about placeing two slim lines next to eachother and angleing them 45 deg. away from eachother? Better intersection warning, what about forward?

Good idea, but sound waves tend to pull in.
One analogy is a "hinge".
If L ---- R, the sound hinges (spreads) up and down.
I
Bottom it spreads left <-> right which is best for EVs.
Best to have one above the other both aimed forward.

I'd like to install a momentary pushbutton which sends left speaker power
to a 90 degree left-facing speaker when coming to some especially
obscured intersections. But I don't knowhere to place the speaker.
They are wonderfully concealed unobscured behind the Expedition grill.

q2bman

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:37 pm

Ya, same wave, but seems the sound is lower pitched in the older sirens. Take a pa300 for instants, older version sounds lower pitched then the new model. Also, gets even lower pitched when you pair up another 100 watt speaker. Maybe the different oscillators in the different models. Maybe new digital, smaller, surface mount I.C.s produce a sharper pitch.

My Grandpa was a state trooper here in Texas, but i never got to hear his CP100 chrome roof-top mounted siren. Bet it was loud.

I've noticed better sound through stadium speakers that have extra long re-entry cones. Seems more clear and deep.

Robert Gift

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:30 am

Q, what happened to my reply to you?
Did I somehow put it somewherelse?
Where might it have gone?

q2bman

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:56 pm

:evil:

Man was I dissapointed!

I heard an eQ2b on an ambulance in Rchland Hills Tx. Man was it weak. Not suprising, it was as loud at the other 200 watt siren the ambulance had. Good sound sampleing, butu weak output. That poor ambulance sat at an intersection with full wind-up and waited on traffic! No mechanical Q would have needed to even stop!

I hate what electronics are doing to siren land.
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:14 pm

q2bman wrote::evil:

Man was I dissapointed!

I heard an eQ2b on an ambulance in Rchland Hills Tx. Man was it weak. Not suprising, it was as loud at the other 200 watt siren the ambulance had. Good sound sampleing, butu weak output. That poor ambulance sat at an intersection with full wind-up and waited on traffic! No mechanical Q would have needed to even stop!

I hate what electronics are doing to siren land.
THEY HAVE TWO E-SIRENS?!

What a waste.
I said somewherearlier that I think the eQ is not as loud as it should be simply because of the inefficient box the two opposed 100W drivers are in.
(Do they have the drivers miswired and they are out of phase?

Our 2 TS100s driven by the 200 W Unitrol 80 K are better than the box.

But we need a speaker aimed directly left for such intersections
where, by the time drivers realize the ambulance is NOT parked,
it is too late for them to slow and stop.
Also we need more lights to the sides. Many have most lights forward and not enough to the sides.

And we need cops and EVs to stop parking with ALL lights flashing.
They should only have lights operating towards the hazard - usually to the rear from where oncoming traffic is approaching.
A lot of this is THEIR fault.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”