Robert Gift

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:16 pm

zetronist wrote:
robert gift wrote:A paramedic said he had attached a Q to his motorcycle.
Think it was one that was not chrome plated.

I don't know how it could work on such little amperage.
Also, I would never want to be so close to it if it did attain speed.

It fell off and was destroyed.
B&M used to produce mechanical motorcycle sirens that ran by friction, not electricity. The one on their site is an antique; (see picture below) they had some more recent models. They were very common on Southern California Police bikes in the 1960's, 70's and early 80's. Not sure if Federal ever made a mechanical siren for motorcycles.

Remember, a lot of people today confuse "Mechanical Siren" with "Q2B", thinking anything mechanical is from Federal. It could be that the guy was saying he had a "mechanical" siren and calling it a Q, not realizing it was a B&M. I hear that mistake a lot.

John
Thanks for the wonderful picture, John.

I would feel even worse if he trashed an antique or unique siren like that.

I think he really had a Q, which I presume would be much more common and easier tobtain. Or maybe some other mechanical siren used in many ambulances.

Sad that he didn't securely attach it and ruined it.
(Or did he fall riding his motorcycle???)

I was driving our 1958 Mack engine on a washboard dirt road, when something shiny caught my eye.

It was the FS chrome speaker CP100? on the roof whichad come loose and fallen to the dirt road. The speaker wire didn't even hold it on the roof. (Same guy who used inadequate screws probably justwisted the wires together and taped them.)

Fortunately it landed in some softer dirt and wasn't bent or damaged,
though I don't know abouthe driver voicecoil.

I believe those speakers are the most efficient and therefore loudest.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”