Whelen Rules

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:35 pm

that sounds great thanks for the video!!!! That will be the siren I get. If and when I do get one could i get a clutch or push button from federal? Also what kind of electronic siren would you recomend. I was thinking a federal signal of some sort will probably get it new. Would you recomend 100 or 200 watt speaker? Thanks!!!!
Tyler Lund

q2bman

Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:01 am

I had a federal signal pa-300 with a bp-100 speaker. The bp-100 is cast alluminum and is loud! Nice speaker. A real cheap and great speaker is the ts-100. Its cheap cause they came out with the slim line version. Most departments use theese now so the ts-100 is inexpensive. The pa-300 is a good siren. Can be used with 100 or 200 watt speakers. Two 100 watt speakers is the way to go. That's what I used as a Police Officer. Moved traffic nicely. 200 Watts make the siren a nice "deep" sound. Whelen sirens are cheap and effective too. Whelen sirens are what my department went too. 100 watt and 200 watt output for a good price. They also have the phaser tone that i like. My favorite siren is the Unitroll (made by Federal Signal). It's what LAPD uses. Cool sound. Ever looked at galls.com? They sell emergency equipment for reasonable prices.
And no. I do not think you can get a brake for that Federal EG siren. Whatever you get you better tape it for me and send me the file! Cool new siren and a old mechanical siren to pair up with it! Let me know if i can help.
8)

q2bman

Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:17 am

oh, this is a Whelen, probly 200 watt.
(I found this vid in a hurry. Apologize for the conversation in the background)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0s0ywOzRtQ

and this is a pa 300.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0KCVW2V ... ted&search

Jim_Ferer

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:26 pm

I'm pretty sure that the 70 series dual-tone vehicle sirens were the smallest Federal sirens that had brakes - the 60 series and down didn't. As of the early '70s that meant that the Q, C, and 70 series Federals had brakes and thus "coasted."

The Sterling 30 had a brake, but I don't know if the 20 did. There were Sireno sirens and Dietz sirens with brakes, but I don't know the details.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”