scooterbugs25

Home Smoke Detectors

Wed May 17, 2006 5:51 pm

How many intrests are there for home smoke alarms? any collectors ??

KnightFox

Thu May 18, 2006 3:09 pm

Never really got into Smoke Detectors when I found out it contains the radioactive material Americanium (sp?)
Sirens Recorded:
LaVale 3t22

Up next:
LaVale's Sterling M-5 with tone activation

scooterbugs25

Thu May 18, 2006 4:14 pm

KnightFox wrote:Never really got into Smoke Detectors when I found out it contains the radioactive material Americanium (sp?)
I really have not thought about it being radioactive, I did a quick google of it and this is what i came up with..

"The alpha particles from the smoke detector do not themselves pose a health hazard, as they are absorbed in a few centimetres of air or by the structure of the detector.

The radiation dose to the occupants of a house from a domestic smoke detector is essentially zero, and in any case very much less than that from natural background radiation. The small amount of radioactive material that is used in these detectors is not a health hazard. On the other hand, the ability of domestic smoke detectors to save life and property has been demonstrated in many house fires.

Even swallowing the radioactive material from a smoke detector would not lead to significant internal absorption of Am-241, since the dioxide is insoluble. It will pass through the digestive tract, without delivering a significant radiation dose. (Americium-241 is however a potentially dangerous isotope if it is taken into the body in soluble form. It decays by both alpha activity and gamma emissions and it would concentrate in the skeleton.)"

http://www.uic.com.au/nip35.htm

KnightFox

Thu May 18, 2006 4:31 pm

I know that the actual radioactivity is esentally zero, but I don't like screwing with them in the first place.

Chad

Thu May 18, 2006 5:12 pm

No, it is really harmless. The radioactive molecules from the substance are bounced from bottom-to-top in the chamber. If the molecules aren't bounced back because smoke is filling the chamber, the alarm sounds.

HowStuffWorks has an article at http://home.howstuffworks.com/smoke.htm
Here is an article on how they can be interlinked: http://home.howstuffworks.com/question576.htm

At my house, we have a series of DSC WWS4916's: Image

At my school, we have some of these, but I'm not sure what they are: Image

We also have a series of SystemSensor P12015K's in our fire alarm system, but they are labeled as Fire Lite:Image

And some FireLite BG-12 Pull Stations: Image

TBOLT233

Thu May 18, 2006 10:38 pm

Have any of you heard of smoke detectors connected w/your security system? Well mine is. Not only does the smoke detector go off when it senses smoke, the burglar alarm also goes off causing quite a lot of cacophony! :lol:

SirenMadness

Thu May 18, 2006 11:56 pm

Yeah, I heard of those. I'll check if we have such system, even though I doubt it.
B.T.W., when I use to live in an appartment, is it mandatory that by law the building's alarm system should be hooked to a fire department's communication services?
~ Peter Radanovic

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Fri May 19, 2006 2:30 am

scooterbugs25 wrote:
KnightFox wrote:Never really got into Smoke Detectors when I found out it contains the radioactive material Americanium (sp?)
I really have not thought about it being radioactive, I did a quick google of it and this is what i came up with..

"The alpha particles from the smoke detector do not themselves pose a health hazard, as they are absorbed in a few centimetres of air or by the structure of the detector.

The radiation dose to the occupants of a house from a domestic smoke detector is essentially zero, and in any case very much less than that from natural background radiation. The small amount of radioactive material that is used in these detectors is not a health hazard. On the other hand, the ability of domestic smoke detectors to save life and property has been demonstrated in many house fires.

Even swallowing the radioactive material from a smoke detector would not lead to significant internal absorption of Am-241, since the dioxide is insoluble. It will pass through the digestive tract, without delivering a significant radiation dose. (Americium-241 is however a potentially dangerous isotope if it is taken into the body in soluble form. It decays by both alpha activity and gamma emissions and it would concentrate in the skeleton.)"

http://www.uic.com.au/nip35.htm
Well I can tell you this.
Alpha particles cannot penetrate a piece of normal printer/scratch paper. So definately can't penetrate your skin. But radiation in small amounts is NO health hazard. Over years and years it would be. But Americium-241 is a completely Alpha and Beta particles. There is really no Gamma rays coming out of it.
Believe me I would know, I have Americium-241 in a little vial. :wink:

As to collections, yes I collect them. I have a System Sensor 400 series photoelectric smoke, a FirstAlert Ultra, FirstAlert Basic with escape light, an unkown RadioShack model, a Family Guard model, and another unkown model.

Chad

Sat May 20, 2006 6:37 pm

TBOLT233 wrote:Have any of you heard of smoke detectors connected w/your security system? Well mine is. Not only does the smoke detector go off when it senses smoke, the burglar alarm also goes off causing quite a lot of cacophony! :lol:
Yes, at my house, smoke and heat detectors are conneccted to our sercurity system. When the burgular piece is activated, the system's siren sounds a wavering, fast tone. When the fire part is activated, it emits the standard code-three tone: three beeps followed by a pause and then repeating.

dukepeace
New User

Sun May 21, 2006 3:28 am

Chad wrote:
TBOLT233 wrote:Have any of you heard of smoke detectors connected w/your security system? Well mine is. Not only does the smoke detector go off when it senses smoke, the burglar alarm also goes off causing quite a lot of cacophony! :lol:
Yes, at my house, smoke and heat detectors are conneccted to our sercurity system. When the burgular piece is activated, the system's siren sounds a wavering, fast tone. When the fire part is activated, it emits the standard code-three tone: three beeps followed by a pause and then repeating.
I Think that is standard with most home security systems isnt it? That is ours is set up to do as well.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”