StonedChipmunk

URGENT: Quiet Indoor Siren Question

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:05 am

I'm looking for a very quiet indoor siren for a security system (not loud, I live in a dorm room over here) and need a suggestion. Anyone know of a 120VAC indoor siren? And what is the quietest indoor siren, no matter what voltage? I can always go to the mall and get a converter if needed.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

StonedChipmunk

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:24 am

While you're at it, go ahead and list off some quiet buzzers or chimes or somethin under $70... I've got 4 switches to waste, and only have a rotating beacon for one of them >.< I need 3 more things to complete the system. By the way, it's more of an emergency system than security but what the heck ^.^

q2bman

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:38 am

Radio Shack has a selection of tiny sirens. Might work for ya. Car alarm sirens with foam stuffed in them maybe?
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Daniel

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:15 am

The quietest siren I know of for an electromechanical siren are those old doorstop alarms with the 3 volt motor. I bought two of them at a Goodwill store for $2 each, then removed the sirens from the doorstop and tossed the leftovers. Also, there is a small, red, 12-volt siren sold by some automotive electronics shops, JC Whitney, and nearly every auto store in Mexico. They are about the size of a siren-shaped baseball and are not very loud. Other than that, you can do what the town of Dallas, Oregon, did with their STH-10. They took a long piece of canvas and wrapped it around the horns to lower the sound output.

StonedChipmunk

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:08 am

I was hoping for something mechanical, not electronic... such as the Klaxon Mini Mono P (my possibly final choice) with the air intake covered up with a cloth to lower the dB...

Manufacturer's Page:
http://www.klaxonsignals.com/ind-specia ... mono_p.htm

Recording:
http://www.klaxonsignals.com/sound%20fi ... NO%20P.mp3

It is rated at 100 db / 1 meter, which is pretty low for a siren but still should be lowered by a lot considering the maximum noise level over here... not a problem, I can figure something out.

Yes, I know, it sounds like a freaking toy, but it's better than a little piercing piezo buzzer, eh?

By the way, here is my completed list for my "security" system for those of you that are curious:
Controller: http://shop.vendio.com/progearwarehouse ... index.html
Rot. Light (sample, see below): http://shop.vendio.com/progearwarehouse ... 1156068001
Party Strobe (for fun): http://shop.vendio.com/progearwarehouse ... index.html
Siren listed above... also will add something else for fun when I find it... any suggestions?
Also, the Rot. Light listed above is just a sample because the eBay listing I am watching is Buy It Now and I don't really trust that some forum lurker won't take the link and buy it before I have the chance ^.^

Suggestions? Questions? Comments? Hateful remarks?

Robert Gift

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Interesting that you want a mechanical siren.
You can always adjust it's volume by restricting air intake.

Wish I could find a doorstop siren, whatever that is.

But if you want battery-powered, nothing is better than a speaker.
I have used mercury switches from old thermostats for detection sensors.
One thermostat from a thrift store had 4 mercury bulbs.

(I'm hated more than you! I'm going to give you an applaud to furtheruin your score.)

StonedChipmunk

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:01 pm

Only problem: I'm kind of on a budget ($125 max) so electromechanical sirens won't do the trick.
OMG THE STUPID FIRE ALARMS WONT SHUT OFF
Sorry about that. There is a faulty smoke detector in the basement over here that keeps on sounding and is setting off the fire alarms 24/7 (luckily the alarms are silenced) but there is still that annoying beeping sound from the base station.
Anyways...
Klaxon Signals referred me to GE Security because they don't deal with the US, then it took me 24 minutes to get to the Edwards Signaling site which, aftetr 8 more excruciating minutes, brought me to the limited Klaxon product list. The Mini Mono siren was, fortunately, listed. It was, unfortunately, over $450. There goes that idea.
I'm considering buying a 12v car alarm siren and stuffing it with paper towels or covering it with duct tape or something. Any final suggestions?

StonedChipmunk

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:03 pm

And also, I am running this siren from a 120v power source, so car sirens are OK but I was hoping to find something rated at 120v. I'll check on eBay.

StonedChipmunk

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:37 pm

ATTENTION: If you happen to have some sort of car/burglar electromechanical alarm siren (or if you are just reading this post) check out my post I put in the Wanted forum: http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=617
PM or reply with as much info as possible if you have one.

Justin

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:50 am

What are you trying to alarm or protect there Chip?

Something like a 120VAC alarm would seem a little overkillish when some basic circuitry can do the job without alarming your neighbours.

Most of the ones listed here are pretty basic and a bit of breadboard, solder and some knowhow can get you a good working system.

Piezioelectric buzzers should be the only thing you would really need for protecting something like a cupboard.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”