Which one is better?

Code 3 XF2300
70%
911EP Galaxy/Galaxy Elite
30%

Total votes: 20
Robert Gift

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:01 pm

That's because most of the traffic that the police car has to move out of the way is in front of the vehicle.

Good point, Fox. Same situation with us.

When the police car approaches the intesection, the cross traffic are already going to be facing the vehicle where as the traffic in front are facing away from it, thus that's why you need more in the front than any other direction.

The wig-wag headlights do as much or more than the lightbar at drawing gaze to the rearview mirrors. And opposing vehicles have
no problem seeing the lights.

But at intersections, often the only light seen is just the end light on the lightbar. FedSig, in a "brilliant" design, even obscured that light with
an alley light, so even LESS warning light got out right and left.
(The stupid Mexico City Police place bold white numbers across the front of their lightbar domes, so it's even more difficult to see if they are on. Of course, numbers obscuring the left dome is not enough. They must needlessly repeathem across the right cover, too.

The only real downfall to the Vector was that each pod contained its own internal workings as opposed to a lightbar that had all the lights contained into one package.

The separate pods allowed less wind resistance, enabling greater
pursuit speeds.

Other than that the Vector probably was the best when it came to getting the notice out in all directions.

You're right. But could have been done easier and cheaper.
Vectors were another obscene fortune.

KnightFox

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:21 pm

robert gift wrote:The wig-wag headlights do as much or more than the lightbar at drawing gaze to the rearview mirrors. And opposing vehicles have

Gonna have to dissagree with that, unless your running with those new Xenon lightbulbs that you can buy at Wal-Mart, other than that, you're most likely to gaze upon the light show on top of the cruiser (or dash, grille, etc.)

pursuit speeds.

Sure, they may cut down on wind resistance, but that extra wieght for the extra internal works makes the car more top heavy (not to say it already isn't with a regular lightbar) and gives it horrid body roll when turning into tight corners at high speeds

You're right. But could have been done easier and cheaper.
Vectors were another obscene fortune.
Maybe, but you got to think, now they have the Smart-V (an LED vector), but most Federal Signal products are more expensive than Whelen, Galls, or Code 3 (just asked my dad why they don't use Fed Sig. products and that's the exact reason why, the only reson they have Vectors is because they got a deal on those)

Robert Gift

lights

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:08 am

The wig-wag headlights do as much or more than the lightbar at drawing gaze to the rearview mirrors. And opposing vehicles have

Gonna have to dissagree with that, unless your running with those new Xenon lightbulbs that you can buy at Wal-Mart, other than that, you're most likely to gaze upon the light show on top of the cruiser (or dash, grille, etc.)

Ha! great term "light show". May I use it?

At various places/times I tried with the wig-wag off.
So much better with it on.

Wigwag headlights are first thing that ever catches my eye.

Headlights are so big and effective that we no longer even bother with grill lights. (also want to avoid further blocking airflow into the radiator)

pursuit speeds.

Sure, they may cut down on wind resistance, but that extra wieght for the extra internal works makes the car more top heavy (not to say it already isn't with a regular lightbar) and gives it horrid body roll when turning into tight corners at high speeds

Oh, I did not know they were heavy. Funny, FedSig never mentioned that!

Now I'll be salivating over the Smart-V - which we cannot afford.
Thanks

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”