Allertor113
YouTube Username: RLDproductions

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:51 am

It might just be because its old and worn out.
Siren/Field Technician
Moore, Oklahoma

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:23 am

whow! I've never heard one do that, even in bad condition. I'd take a good look at the insides again, to make sure there's no corrosion, damage or even debris. It does look fairly clean inside though.
Proud owner of a 2T, 5, M-5, 1000 Head, 7T, 3T22, and a single toned 2

Daniel

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:02 pm

The position of the horn against the diaphragm determines the sound output. The adjusting screw only controls the diaphragm. You will have to loosen the nut on the horn and screw the horn in and out until you hit the right spot.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Blasty

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:32 pm

This is very strange. No position of the horn seems to work. I ran it constantly while slowly turning the horn through its full range until it was all the way against the diaphragm (no sound).

It is also immaculately clean inside.

ARGH. :x

Pete

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:39 pm

I have one of these too. Is the rubber gasket that goes between the two halves of the housing good & solid? I've run into problems at times because of that issue.

Mine plays a moderately in-tune Eb. I actually wrote a musical piece in college that climaxed with the honking of the alarm. It didn't get a great grade, but it put the entire music department on the floor laughing!!

Jpressman8

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:00 am

Can you see if there is any cracks in the diaphragm? Make sure all of the screws are tight as well. As Pete said check the gasket and make sure the body halves are not vibrating against one another.
five liter V8

Daniel

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Is the diaphragm hitting square on the aperture of the trumpet or is it bent?
Pete wrote: Mine plays a moderately in-tune Eb. I actually wrote a musical piece in college that climaxed with the honking of the alarm. It didn't get a great grade, but it put the entire music department on the floor laughing!!
I would like to see a video of this! Here is a similar idea, though horribly tuned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuEZemxHWaM
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Blasty

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:17 pm

The housing gasket is good. I can feel air coming out around the conduit hole where the wire passes in; should that be sealed, or does it matter?

I have yet to take the diaphragm off to look at it. As for the projector, I had to use a wrench on the nut to loosen it the first time. Therefore, I don't think it has been handled much, if at all, during the horn's lifetime. Nothing looks bent, but then I can't tell for sure.

I'll continue to mess around with it more and see what happens.

edit: by the way, the first video was before I ever opened the case or took the projector off, so I didn't mess it up before I tried it.

Blasty

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:42 pm

I just played with it some more. There was a flake of metal stuck to the end of the horn, which I simply removed with a fingernail. I also gently buffed the end to a shine with a polishing compound just to make sure it would make full contact with the diaphragm. It appears from slight wear marks that the horn is fully contacting the washer that's bolted to the diaphragm when it's screwed down until it just touches. I have also run back through the contact adjustments each time I change something else.

Also, I've been doing tests with the case open, so I can make adjustments. Does the case need to be sealed up for it to work? And, should there be some kind of gasket at the threaded end of the projector, or should it contact the diaphragm directly?

After all this, still no progress. I'm about ready to give up on it, and in a few days I'll to be moving to a place where I can't constantly test it while I'm trying things. :(

Pete

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:44 pm

- The case definitely needs to be sealed for it to work right...it will make all of the difference in the world!

- No gasket at screw-in point of projector/horn, though it doesn't seem right that the washer should be rubbing up against it. The horn doesn't have to be solid tight, if loosening it up a little will help the sound.

- conduit hole being open should be ok...mine isn't hugely tight and it still makes a good amount of noise!

Seal up the case (tightly) and try 'er again...let us know if it works now!

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”