Chiz

Wagga Wagga City fire siren

Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey guys a couple of weeks ago I stayed in Wagga Wagga, NSW, Australia and I walked past a fire station on the border of Mount Austin and Turvey park and made a surprising discovery. The fire station still has the siren. Funny thing is that with most cities they don't have air raid sirens at stations but this one still does my pic that I got on my mobile will come soon but here's the google maps view of it.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?ft ... mQWH36S8BQ

Would anyone be able to Identify it?

Jim Z

Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:59 pm

it looks for all the world like an old Darley, the one with Federal Model 5 guts.

Daniel

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:28 am

I remember seeing Darley-like sirens at the fire station in Katoomba, NSW, and other Blue Mountains towns, but they seemed about the size of a Model 2.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Justin

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:36 am

Those ones are littered throughout the state for those stations that have yet to remove them. I don't believe they're actually used any more (maybe the Victorian Royal Commission will change that) and are typically only found at Fire and Rescue NSW stations, very rarely found at Rural Fire Service stations. I only know of one RFS station that has one of these.

They appear to be a local copy of the Model 5, I haven't found much else about them. I believe I posted some pictures of one a long while back.
Daniel wrote:I remember seeing Darley-like sirens at the fire station in Katoomba, NSW
Was that the station directly adjacent to the highway?

Daniel

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:51 am

Justin wrote:
Was that the station directly adjacent to the highway?
The Katoomba station was a red brick building at the top of the hill behind the main street. The highway was a few blocks away.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Justin

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:51 am

I believe that'd be the Fire Rescue boys, as there is an RFS station along the highway there.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”