tkovack1

YouTube Username: Tommy's Sirens & Aviation

Are there any more Thunderbolts in Franklin County Ohio?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:25 pm

I looked up an article on Wikipedia called List of Thunderbolt sirens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ackda ... olt_sirens) and under Columbus Ohio it said one standing and is operational. If that's true, where is it at? I am posting this because I don't always trust Wikipedia. Are there any more Thunderbolts in Franklin County or have they all been replaced? If not, where is the closest Thunderbolt to the county?

Fletch

Re: Are there any more Thunderbolts in Franklin County Ohio?

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:58 am

None are operational in Franklin County, although a few still are standing.

West Jefferson might be the closest T-Bolt still operating (I think).

Champaign County has a ton of them, but the system was deactivated last year. Otherwise, you may have to go to Dayton or southwest Ohio to find one still operating.

WhelenBoy
YouTube Username: Joshua Hamilton

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:45 am

That list is really old, and quite inaccurate. I wouldn't rely on it for your info.
Proud owner of a Gridfaced Thunderbolt 2000, Thunderbolt 1000 and 1000T, two SD-10's, and a Federal Electric Model D.

-Joshua H.

Тһundеrbοlt1000Tfan

YouTube Username: Thunderbolt1000Tfan

Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Fletch wrote:None are operational in Franklin County, although a few still are standing.

West Jefferson might be the closest T-Bolt still operating (I think).

Champaign County has a ton of them, but the system was deactivated last year. Otherwise, you may have to go to Dayton or southwest Ohio to find one still operating.
If you're talking about the one on the West Jefferson Police Department, unfortunately, I think that one is deactivated as well.
Owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Model J siren.

Тһundеrbοlt1000Tfan

Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:48 pm

tkovack1 wrote:I looked up an article on Wikipedia called List of Thunderbolt sirens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ackda ... olt_sirens) and under Columbus Ohio it said one standing and is operational. If that's true, where is it at? I am posting this because I don't always trust Wikipedia. Are there any more Thunderbolts in Franklin County or have they all been replaced? If not, where is the closest Thunderbolt to the county?
As far as I know, the 1000 in downtown Newark, Ohio might still be operational. If it is, that may be the closest working Thunderbolt to Franklin County.

Startug
YouTube Username: Ohio Sirens
Discord: JamesFisch

Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:58 pm

Тһundеrbοlt1000Tfan wrote:
tkovack1 wrote:I looked up an article on Wikipedia called List of Thunderbolt sirens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ackda ... olt_sirens) and under Columbus Ohio it said one standing and is operational. If that's true, where is it at? I am posting this because I don't always trust Wikipedia. Are there any more Thunderbolts in Franklin County or have they all been replaced? If not, where is the closest Thunderbolt to the county?
As far as I know, the 1000 in downtown Newark, Ohio might still be operational. If it is, that may be the closest working Thunderbolt to Franklin County.
I believe that's still active as I've passed it a few times this summer and would occasionally see it in a different position.
Owner of no sirens currently, but is looking to purchase and restore sirens for communities needing them.

CrazyCalvinWilliams
YouTube Username: CrazyCalvinWilliams

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:15 pm

As some already know, I got the last standing one from the west side of Columbus, but I remember reading somewhere about one still standing downtown near the arena district or something. I don't know... :/

tkovack1

YouTube Username: Tommy's Sirens & Aviation

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:18 pm

I remember you said in a comment on Calvin's (Mayer's) Easton Center 4004 video that you tried to record it last month and you didn't hear any of Newark's sirens test.

Тһundеrbοlt1000Tfan

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:48 am

Startug wrote:
I believe that's still active as I've passed it a few times this summer and would occasionally see it in a different position.
Is it still there as of this year? If it is, has it changed positions at all within the past year or so?

Startug
YouTube Username: Ohio Sirens
Discord: JamesFisch

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:00 am

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:48 am
Startug wrote:
Тһundеrbοlt1000Tfan wrote: As far as I know, the 1000 in downtown Newark, Ohio might still be operational. If it is, that may be the closest working Thunderbolt to Franklin County.
Is it still there as of this year? If it is, has it changed positions at all within the past year or so?
Sorry for the extremely late response. I've passed it several times the last few years, and I always look out for it. It's still on top of the building, but its position has not changed at all as it still faces somewhat west. Unless of course there's a beautiful coincidence that every time I pass through, it just happens to rotate itself back to that direction after numerous tests. I doubt that theory though, and I'm guessing it's dead or out of the system. The Thunderbeam is also still standing, but I've never memorized where the plate is facing because it's hard to tell when I'm driving fast on the highway.
Owner of no sirens currently, but is looking to purchase and restore sirens for communities needing them.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”