Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

What are "fire calls", that makes sirens go off..

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:12 pm

This question have been eating me up.... When a siren goes off for a "Fire call" what does that exactly mean, does it go off every time there is a house fire? That question is just killing me..
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

E712

Re: What are "fire calls", that makes sirens go off..

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:21 pm

In my part of the world at least the fire siren is activated for all calls the fire dept. runs. This includes crashes, gas calls, rescues, haz-mat calls and of course fires.
uʍop ǝpısdn sı ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs ʎɯ 'dlǝɥ

EOWS1212man
YouTube Username: BFDfire288

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Valtonus wrote:This question have been eating me up.... When a siren goes off for a "Fire call" what does that exactly mean, does it go off every time there is a house fire? That question is just killing me..
It is the individual fire department's or the county fire dispatch's decision as to what they set their siren off for. Some will do it for every call 24 hours a day (medical call, car accident,alarm system activation, fuel spill, brush fire, whatever). Some will only do it for confirmed house/building fires, as they don't happen too often so the siren isn't blowing 5-6 times a day for the more frequent type of calls. A lot of FD's are starting to put timers on their systems that "lock" the siren during certain hours so it won't go off at night. It keeps the neighbors happy.
Proud owner of a Model A, Model 2, Model 2T and Model 5

ruralchief

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:54 pm

The jurisdiction (city council, fire district, etc.) that oversees the fire dept., has the say over whether the siren is activated for fire, rescue, etc. calls. I have also seen it spelled out in particular ordinances, where the fire chief may be responsible over the siren system.

Anyway, the responsible party that oversees the siren system, determines when (day, night, etc.) and for what calls (fire, rescue, etc.) the siren sounds for. Each community (city, township, fire district, etc.) has its own policy.

Basically, pagers may not be effective in some communities, so sirens are also sounded. If a siren paging tower is far away, hills or tall building(s) are impeding, etc. may result in a lack of pager coverage. In some cases, outdoor warning sirens are also used to supplement or backup a paging system.

Contact your local fire chief and inquire for what and when the sirens are used. That will clarify why (or a lack of) sirens are activated.

r4tbolts

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Most of the Fire Departments I've been a member of only used them for structure fires. Most of those departments don't even do that now. Sounding the siren for medical calls 6 times a day would wear thin pretty quick in most towns. Most small departments in my neck of the woods don't even run the siren on the apparatus in the middle of the night unless necessary.

Daniel

Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:53 am

The town of Scio, Oregon, sounded their Model 5 in three cycles of attack for ambulance and five cycles for fires, and they may still do this. Nearby Silverton, however, only sounds their M5 at noon and for very severe fires. Every town does it differently here, and most Oregon towns don't use fire sirens at all.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”