SuperBanshee

NN/aaa

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:33 am

N/A Redacted - PM for detail plxthx.
Last edited by SuperBanshee on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

dilloncarpenter

Re: ACA Hurricane Sirens.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:55 am

Moore, OK had a few Hurricanes back in the 80's. The only thing that remains is a pole at 5th and Markwell that one of them used to be at.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:02 am

You never cease to amaze me with these information packed topics. And also, Centralia, Ill had a square horned Hurricane. I believe the ARS user "Crazywarriorman" got it. It is also rumored to be one in Baxter, MN.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:18 am

Crystal River nuclear power plant in Florida had 3 Hurricanes as their original warning system for the community before they put sirens throughout the whole 10-mile EPZ.
http://youtube.com/CrazySirenBoy
Proud owner of: Thunderbolt 1003, Thunderbolt 1000, STH-10A, Model 5BT, Model 5B, Model 3B, Model 2T (noon daily @ 1/2 voltage), Model 2, Decot, Sterling Little Giant

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:40 am

The "Ben Shinn Site" Photo is one of mine.
It's probably the first :hurricane: pic I took with my first digital camera.
Here's a crop of the original.
I have a folder full of Garland :hurricane: pics from the early 2000s.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

lkreykes

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:24 am

Apparently Cook Nuclear in Michigan had a system of these as well.
im scared

SuperBanshee

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:28 am

I'll add these locations to my master list - I've now received word from Aaron N. that La Crescent, MN had a third Hurricane at some point, replaced by a Sentry 10V.
it's a bit of a surprise to see the Hurricane make it as far as Oklahoma or Florida.

The known square-horn Hurricane locations are listed below:

Milwaukee, WI - all square horned Hurricane 130s were made here. At least one installed in city or surrounding suburbs.
Plymouth, MN - located along I-694, replaced in 1990.
Baxter, MN - this one suffered a mechanical failure in late 2007 and was replaced shortly afterwards.
Centralia, IL - two sirens, one on a parking garage type building, and the one that was located in a tower - Luke owns the tower siren.
Rolling Meadows, IL - three sirens, one located at the fire station. All replaced with newer sirens including an Alertronic 6000.

Eric, thanks for the better resolution photo - I had no idea it was one of your own. I found the low resolution file in an archive of Ben Shinn's old siren museum website. The original file name was "crusher2.gif" and was uploaded on October 1st, 2002 alongside other siren photos - for reasons lost to the seeds of time, Ben thought the siren's name was Crusher instead of Hurricane. ACA never used the name Crusher for any siren. The more photos, the merrier. :hurricane:

CycloneFan125
YouTube Username: Sirens & Elevators

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:06 pm

If Milwaukee had other :hurricane: 's, where are all the there others. I only know about the one on 81st and Bradley and I do know about the one that was in Greendale.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:20 pm

Addyston, Ohio (suburb of Cincinnati) had one that was replaced in the early 2000s, and should still be sitting at Werden's shop. It was located about 1/2 mile away from a Thunderbolt. Now, Addyston has 3 2001-SRNs that are all located within 1.2 miles of each other. :O

I found a picture of it! This is in 1994 BTW.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

SuperBanshee

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:00 pm

Most of Milwaukee County's old Hurricanes would have been replaced many years ago. The only way to find more of them is to check old city listings and photographs that might show a siren in the background.

Andy, thanks for the photo of Addyston's siren. I knew Clayton Werden had a Hurricane in his shop but I didn't know where it came from.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”