BBoi00
YouTube Username: Sirens and Stuff

STL-10 brush question

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:50 pm

I recently purchased brushes for my single phase stl-10 but the brushes were too big. So my question is, does anyone know the dimensions to a STL-10 brush?
Happy and slightly confused owner of a STL-10, Whelen wps-2905, Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000, and a Federal Enterprises Model-2

Unit of Civil Defense

Re: STL-10 brush question

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:52 pm

You can remove what you need with either sand paper or a Dremel tool .......I used to "cut" brushes when I raced R/C cars and had to do the same thing as you described.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

BBoi00

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:03 pm

The issue is is that they are too thick, I'd shave them down if I could but it isn't possible with these brushes. I need new ones
Happy and slightly confused owner of a STL-10, Whelen wps-2905, Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000, and a Federal Enterprises Model-2

Unit of Civil Defense

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:49 am

Since they are too thick why cant you just cut ,grind or what ever you need to do to make them fit???? The material that brushes are made of is rather soft, so removing material should be rather easy....like I said before, I did it so anyone should be able to do it as well....all I used was a small metal file....if the surface is curved use a round file...if you need to remove more than you want to file used a hack saw.....
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

BBoi00

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:24 am

There is a metal bracket where the wire connects, so grinding them down may not be enough. Mostly I'm just nervous though because the brushes cost me 127$ and I want to get it back if I return them. I just want to know all my options before I make a choice.

vfdfirefighter78
New User

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:57 am

Our STL-10 siren at the firehall has recently died and now just hums up on the pole. I believe it is the brushes. Federal Signal no longer is making parts for these sirens. Does anyone know where i could get a set of brushes that will work in it rather than spend $8500 on a new siren? Thanks In advance

OHIO Desperado

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:41 pm

I just got brushes for an STH-10 and I am betting they are the same ones. The ones that came out of my siren are a Lincoln Electric part number 12036. They were used in the Lincoln 200_SA engine driven welder in the exciter. I paid 34 bucks for them. Go to carbonbrush.com and look for either the part number mentioned above or the W13 Lincoln replacement brush. Trick with brushes is measure the brushes, and then find ones at carbonbrush.com that share the height width but have a bit more length. Also, track down the manual for the siren and follow the brush replacement procedure documented there.

BBoi00

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:09 pm

I ended up getting the correct dimensions and brushes for my siren. When I get a chance I'll post the dimensions on this thread.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”