Tuba

Lightning detection systems

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:33 am

In Dublin Ohio (a suburb of Columbus) About 7 years ago, the city bought and installed thor lightning detection sirens at different parks and pools. They can only be heard in and around the park, or pool, it is installed at. Any other cities with something like this? I know that these sirens are common at baseball complexes, but anyother systems like Dublin’s?
Last edited by Tuba on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tlamb02

Re: Lightning detection systems

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:01 am

I live in Pittsburgh, PA where these are mostly in golf courses/country clubs just like what you described other than they're aren't in many public locations (that I know of in my area). So mainly they're used for just private outdoor sports areas and pools and aren't spread throughout a township like yours. Are they all set up to the same systems or all on their own prediction systems? Anyways, from what I know, I haven't seen anything where they are everywhere throughout the township. Pretty cool though cause I've never seen or heard anything about that

justie1220
YouTube Username: Justin Lynch

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:12 pm

I like the THOR Thunder Guard Air horn style detection systems. they don't seem like they're very intricate and the horn notes that they are pitched at grab your attention quickly. as for your original post could you possibly post pictures of the system in question? i would love to see the units
According to my signature ive been 16 years old for the past two years.Apparently i have found the Fountain of Youth :lol:

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:55 pm

They have gained popularity down here in Texas. The school district that I grew up in went and installed them at every school campus/playground, and outdoor sports facilities. My parents live a couple blocks away from a school and you can clearly hear them go off during storms. It's a little harder to hear inside, but I am kind of surprised that they carry that far as small as the horns are.
-The Princess

Tuba

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:45 am

The sirens actually measure the air around them to determine the chance for lightning. They are thor guards (I don’t know why I didn’t include it in the original post). I will try to get pictures.
Whelen gang

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”