Jim_Ferer

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:48 am

No, no, no, you don't take the stator guard or the grill off the siren for display! Are we looking to harvest fingers? If you do want to show the rotor, for a "how sirens work" display or something, you put the whole siren in a display case with a motor to turn it about 15 rpm or so. And how much louder would the siren get? Not so anybody would ever notice. You've been bitten already, Robert, think what could have happened to you.

P.S. That would be a good display -- the siren in a case, spinning at about 15 rpm to show how it works, and every half-minute or so (or when a button is pushed) it speeds up just enough to make a sound. Good demonstration. It'd need a little programming of a controller, but nothing outrageous. Adam Smith could have it going in no time.

Robert Gift

Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:35 pm

Jim_Ferer wrote:... You've been bitten already, Robert, think what could have happened to you.
P.S. That would be a good display -- the siren in a case, spinning at about 15 rpm to show how it works, and every half-minute or so (or when a button is pushed) it speeds up just enough to make a sound. Good demonstration. It'd need a little programming of a controller, but nothing outrageous. Adam Smith could have it going in no time.
You have a good idea of slow rpm with ability to increase for sound.
I'd even want to go further with a tiny smoke thread, like from a cigarette, to see what happens.

I was knowingly taking a risk of trying to spin this siren fast enough to be audible.

We may get to see this one again in 2009!
I suggested my wife now visit her aging parents every year, not every two years.

July 22nd, 2009 a total solar eclipse will be seen in China.
We should combine visiting her parents with going to Shanghai to be in the path of totality.
(I have been in the moon's shadow once! - La Paz, Mexico, June 1991. Anyonelse here been in the moon's shadow?)
This is likely the closest we will ever be to this rare phenomena in our lifetimes.

Then be present when the City of Yantai performs their annual air raid siren test August 15th. Hopefully this siren won't fail to operate as in 2006.
Last edited by Robert Gift on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Henry455

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:03 pm

Jim Z wrote:yep, you definitely have a different clutch design on that than my model 76. maybe if I can borrow a camera I can post the photos of my disassembled siren for comparison.

Here is a pic of the clutch parts:

And installed:

kcfireman
New User

Re: Disassembled Q2, Updated with video

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:06 am

Henry455,

I am working on an old Federal duel tone siren, and found the retaing nut all beat to hell.
The nut is reverse threaded with two notches to fit a spaner to tighten or remove.

My question is do you know where I can get another ?

Thank you,

Frank Herrick
Kansas City,MO.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Mcmaster Carr has a selection of bearing locknuts: http://www.mcmaster.com/#bearing-locknuts/=v5cxg8

New User

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:32 am

Hello, my siren Q also has another clutch, but I do not know how it goes mounted. Can you help me with some pictures?

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”