Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Great Falls, MT CD System (MDs)

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 am

I was looking at some newspapers, and I discovered something very interesting.
On June 18th 1955, Great Falls performed a full test of its air raid sirens, presumed to be 3 SD10s. They were installed at Ursuline Academy, The Civic Center, and West High Junior School. They were tested in alert and attack signals, roughly lasting five minutes.

In 1962, the city started accepting bids for new sirens, and went with Biersach and Nierdermeyer, and saved several thousands of dollars. They costed about $10,700, or about $88,167. They were listed to be similar sirens installed in Billings, MT (Mobil Directos).
A year later, on 12/9/69, they completed installation of all the sirens. Their locations are as listed:
Watertank on 14th Street and 9th Ave South,
Public School Administration Building,
18th Ave NW and 16th St,
City Sweage Disposal Plant,
West of the Country Club Addition.

They were connected free of charge by the Montana Power Co, and activated in the dispatchers office of the police station. They were tested every Friday on at Noon.

Eventually, the sirens were approved for removal 4/22/1998, and were removed in 2002.
They went to exhibits at the Cascade County Historical Society, Montana Air National Gaurd Great Falls Headquarters, and Malstrom Air Force Base.

Image1 by sirenpsycho,
ImageSD10 by sirenpsycho,
Image3 by sirenpsycho, on Flickr
Image2 by sirenpsycho, on Flickr
Image4 by sirenpsycho, on Flickr
ImageMobilDirectos by sirenpsycho,
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

dispatcherman

Re: Great Falls, MT CD System (MDs)

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:10 am

Awesome find!!