freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

7-10-19 Jones Valley Elementary School 2001-SRN Siren Short Alert + Silent Test, Huntsville, AL

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGR7b9fuSPI

Since the test last week was delayed due to weather (for which I was glad, since I had work at the test time that day, so I would've only been able to record another ambience had that been the case), I took the chance to go out and record sometime since I was off from work today. I picked this siren as it's one of my childhood sirens, and was the first siren I heard go off up close in person. When I was in elementary school, this was actually the very school I went to. And, for whatever reason, I always happened to have recess around noon, so whenever the first Wednesday rolled around, all of us kids on the playground would get startled by the siren being growled, assuming they tested that day.
Another reason I chose the siren is that it's also mounted on one of the tallest poles in the county, if not the tallest pole in the county. Personally not aware of too many other sirens in the county that have two sets of guy-wires helping to hold the tower up.
Believe it or not, this is the first 2001-SRN I've ever recorded up close. The siren also produced a nice echo from across Jones Valley, would be cool to hear this thing in attack with that echo. The test itself wasn't anything too special though, just your standard (if slightly shorter) short alert test, followed by a silent test for all rotating sirens in the county.

I had decided to set-up and record the siren from next to the practice field across the street at the Randolph High School. At the end of the test, Randolph's security officer (at least one of them, anyways) came up, and politely waited for me to shut off my camera before asking what I was doing, to which I told him I was making sure the siren worked. However, for anyone else who wants to record this siren in the future, I'd recommend setting-up alongside Garth Road or at the church just south of the elementary school instead.

Madison County, AL tests on the 1st Wednesday of every month at noon, weather permitting. If the test isn't able to be conducted on the 1st Wednesday, it's then delayed to the 2nd Wednesday of the month at noon, weather permitting.

Madison County, AL Siren Map:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LIKGe ... sp=sharing
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Return to “Videos and Media”