fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Re: HOR Model 50

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 pm

4J25 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:54 pm
I'm still not sure where everyone is getting the "No. 15" nomenclature. I have yet to see it in documentation or on a siren itself.
4J25 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:54 pm
I'm still not sure where everyone is getting the "No. 15" nomenclature. I have yet to see it in documentation or on a siren itself.
I’m not sure either, I do know HOR had odd model numbers and names that did not match up with what they were calling them (this one being a “Model 50” but it was called Super Si-Rex in advertisements...

I did some research last night and found that Ohio had about 5 or 6 single headed Sirex’s at one time, Lake County had three according to a CD matching funds document, and the only others I know off the top of my head are this one, and the one in North Canton (which was purchased in 1951). I believe the one in Hamilton went up around 1954 if I remember right. I’m not sure if all the single headed units were dual toned or not but I know this one and the one in North Canton both were based on pictures of the North Canton one which were in local news articles and comparing those photos with this unit.

The towers they were mounted on for roof mounting had to be constructed by whoever was installing them. North Canton’s in particular did not go up for three years after they got that siren because they did not have the necessary equipment to construct the tower and platform required for roof mounting.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:42 am

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:08 pm
(removed wall of text)
There was another inactive single head Super Sirex located in North Canton, OH that was removed in 2016. It was on top of a building like the one in Hamilton. It's hard to tell from the picture but this one appeared to be single tone.
https://flic.kr/p/e3Viiq

Also, the one in Adrian MO is actually 10/10 port like the one shown in this thread. The sirens in Madison WI and Toledo OH are 9/9 models.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm

These things have shown up having very odd port ratios. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a 7/10 Port Dual-Headed model out there somewhere.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Zarlog wrote:
fire_freak_57 wrote:
(removed wall of text)
There was another inactive single head Super Sirex located in North Canton, OH that was removed in 2016. It was on top of a building like the one in Hamilton. It's hard to tell from the picture but this one appeared to be single tone.

Also, the one in Adrian MO is actually 10/10 port like the one shown in this thread. The sirens in Madison WI and Toledo OH are 9/9 models.
The ones in Toledo and Holyoke also have rotators, but they've either been shut off or died. From what I can tell the 9 port ones are 50 HP sirens, where as the 10 port ones are 40 HP. If you compare the two the 9 port ones look a little bigger, at least to me anyway. The one in Dane County, WI was confirmed to have an actual 50 HP motor and was installed without the rotator.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Bassguybill

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Harry O. Ricci, an Italian immigrant who was not well educated but yet considered a genius, had his original shop in new York, made first police and emergency sirens, then entered air raid type during wartime. he later retired to AZ where he was asked to redo sirens on east coast by a civil defense commander so he went back into business. He made the first electric air raid siren and they were the first to be activated by phone. This according to his son Len.
Owner of: (Don't ask me why)
A Small demolition 110v siren,
Federal model A 110v,
Federal type 2 240v,
Federal 2001 DC roundback,
and a Harry O. Ricci Model 50 Super Si-Rex 10/10 port Dual Horn 3 phase. :roll:

Snowcube

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Phone Goat wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm
These things have shown up having very odd port ratios. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a 7/10 Port Dual-Headed model out there somewhere.
There were 7/10 port dual head Super Sirex models. There is (was?) a video taken at an auction in Phoenix AZ up on youtube. I don't know where it is but there was a dual head sirex that looked like it was 7/10 port. In addition to that, I have heard that there were also 8/8 port single tone Super Sirex's and maybe 12/12 models too. Here's a picture of one on a dam somewhere in California that almost appears to be 7/12 or 8/12 port.
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM45 ... _Dam_Siren
I have no idea if it's still there since the streetview was last updated in Dec 2007. Someone who lives near it should definitely go check it out though.
DJ2226 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 pm
Zarlog wrote:
fire_freak_57 wrote:
(removed wall of text)

The ones in Toledo and Holyoke also have rotators, but they've either been shut off or died. From what I can tell the 9 port ones are 50 HP sirens, where as the 10 port ones are 40 HP. If you compare the two the 9 port ones look a little bigger, at least to me anyway. The one in Dane County, WI was confirmed to have an actual 50 HP motor and was installed without the rotator.
I just looked at pictures of both and yeah you seem to be right. I had no idea there were that many variations.
Thingiverse page

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:39 am

Zarlog wrote:
fire_freak_57 wrote:
(removed wall of text)

I mentioned the North Canton one, I used to live near it. And according to the information I found in North Canton's newspaper, it was likely dual toned as it mentioned it was in use for "Civil Defense purposes." I do have newspaper archives saved to my computer about North Canton's Sirex... could have been single toned though, I wouldn't rule it out. It's very possible, considering HOR did make a dual tone double headed Sirex.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Snowcube

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:09 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:39 am

I mentioned the North Canton one, I used to live near it. And according to the information I found in North Canton's newspaper, it was likely dual toned as it mentioned it was in use for "Civil Defense purposes." I do have newspaper archives saved to my computer about North Canton's Sirex... could have been single toned though, I wouldn't rule it out. It's very possible, considering HOR did make a dual tone double headed Sirex.
Oops, didn't see that. Anyways, here's a picture of a single tone model that was apparently in Des Moines, IA. It was removed because it wasn't as effective as the Thunderbolt they tested.
(this was found in the discord server).
Thingiverse page

Bassguybill

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Alot of great history knowledge being passed here, did not expect such a great response. I have learned alot thanks to you all.
Federal model A 110v,
Federal type 2 240v,

Bassguybill

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:51 pm

First look inside the rotator base. Darn clean in there.
IMG_20190818_155000.jpg
IMG_20190818_155000.jpg (148.94 KiB) Viewed 5533 times
Federal model A 110v,
Federal type 2 240v,

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”