carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:25 am

A lot of sirens in the area have had to be removed, because of building demolitions, including that P-15 I mentioned in the post above. This has to be why pole mounted sirens are more common than they used to be.

Sorry to get off topic, but after reading that article about St. Bernard/Elmwood Place schools, I just wanted to mention that Finneytown is also in the process of getting new school buildings. I don’t want to explain too much here, but if all goes planned, Whitaker Elementary (former home of the Thunderbolt that sparked my interest in sirens) will be demolished unfortunately. The Thunderbolt was removed in 2013 when a new roof was put on the school, but had it never been removed, it’s fate would’ve been building demolition.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Urbanexplorer
YouTube Username: 500 Internal Server Error

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:00 pm

I'm still kind of surprised that Werden didn't get the Thunderbolt from atop Hudy...although it was probably in pretty rough shape after sitting idle for 30 years. Removal would have been a pain as well.
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Formerly known as "Conky 2000".

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Urbanexplorer wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:00 pm
I'm still kind of surprised that Werden didn't get the Thunderbolt from atop Hudy...although it was probably in pretty rough shape after sitting idle for 30 years. Removal would have been a pain as well.
Both of those are probably explanations. Plus i'm pretty sure Werden has a ton of Thunderbolts at this time anyway.. . .
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Hannah
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:34 pm

He only has 4 complete functioning units left, rest are parts. Between what he had installed over the years, plus the 5 complete ones i bought from him has dwindled the yard way down. I have bought like 2/3s of his yard in the last 6 years and brought it home with me. (25 ish sirens plus parts and controllers)
Female enthusiast who is the owner of many large and small sirens, misc controls, timers etc. (too many to list in this small space) all big sirens came from cincinnatis old system.

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Does anyone know the exact location of the old SD-10 at Mt. Echo Park? I am working on a siren map for SW Ohio since I am living down here now, and was going to try to get pictures of some of those abandoned SD-10's since I will be down in Clermont County for First Wednesday in January, provided they test of course.

I also made a new discovery, there is a abandoned Federal Electric/Fedelcode Model 2 at Fire Station 67 in Mariemont. Still there as of 2019 Street View taken in March. I'm surprised at how many old sirens are still up in Hamilton County, given it's been several years since the new system went in. That does make for some good photo ops though of the old sirens; might as well photograph some while they're still up, since I'll be out that way to record something in Clermont County on New Year's Day.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

carexpertandy

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:38 pm

Here is a Bing Maps street view of the Mt. Echo Park SD-10, to the left of the new T-128 hidden in the trees. Can't be seen in Google Maps images with leaves on the trees.

https://binged.it/390E40q

Also, cool find it Mariemont! Though this was never part of the county system, as Mariemont had 2 SD-10s in the system. Their old fire siren obviously.

https://goo.gl/maps/oEF2G615DLyJd1MM9
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:04 am

Pretty sure the Mt. Echo Park SD-10 is history.

Gary actually found that Fedelcode a little while back. Certainly an interesting mount, we've been meaning to get some photos.

If you're interested, we could grab lunch after Clermont if we're in the area!
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:07 pm

4J25 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:04 am
Pretty sure the Mt. Echo Park SD-10 is history.

Gary actually found that Fedelcode a little while back. Certainly an interesting mount, we've been meaning to get some photos.

If you're interested, we could grab lunch after Clermont if we're in the area!
That sounds awesome. I’ll probably be at the P-15 @ 1097 Locust Corners Rd. in Pierce Township, or I may go to that 1212 in Hamlet. Not entirely sure where I’ll go as of yet.

On an unrelated note, I fixed the inactive SD-10 icon. The problem is someone did not cut out the black background surrounding the icon; I fixed it in Preview on my Mac, re-saved it and placed a fixed version in the siren icons folder under the file name “FIXED FederalSD-10inactive.png”. Did the same with the inactive Fedelcode 2 icon.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

carexpertandy

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:46 am

I see that Hamilton County’s test is rescheduled for next Wednesday, January 8, probably because of the New Years holiday tomorrow. Kinda surprised, as the new staff tested on the 4th of July 2018. It will be a growl test of course.

maxshaw

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:40 pm

For whatever reason, Clermont's test caught me completely off guard today, so I didn't go to a siren, but I noticed that the Nothin' but Net T-bolt failed to activate... I'm wondering if one of Clermont's zones failed to sound, because I didn't hear the one of the other T-bolt's that I can usually hear from my house either. I was surprised though that I could clearly hear a Banshee that's almost 2.5 miles away! Did anyone else in Clermont have problems?

Return to “Community Systems”