Jackson95

Sirens In State And National Parks?

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:41 am

So I had a question that crossed my mind, are there sirens in state or National Parks? Specifically places like Yellowstone National park.
Just your average 14 year old Siren kid from O'Fallon. Living in a town with a mix of sirens.

Unit of Civil Defense

Re: Sirens In State And National Parks?

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:36 am

I can attest that there are sirens in state parks. Here is Kansas several of the state parks are also part of a reservoir or visa versa...so they have a siren system in place to warn of a tornado warning to campers , boaters, fishermen, etc. etc. and also a siren located at the spillway area to alert those below the gates that there will be a sudden rise in the water level and to seek higher ground immediately.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:33 am

Not here in West Virginia. In fact, though most towns here in WV have a fire department siren, the Monongahela National Forest is a dead-zone of fire sirens (with the exception of a Model 5 in Harman, Model 2 in Bartow and RSH-10 Thunderbeam in Marlinton). None of the state parks have sirens unless I missed one.

Also, this thread probably could have been posted in the "Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board" section of the forums. What would its purpose be, if not discussions like this?
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

Jackson95

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:49 pm

archizackture wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:33 am
Not here in West Virginia. In fact, though most towns here in WV have a fire department siren, the Monongahela National Forest is a dead-zone of fire sirens (with the exception of a Model 5 in Harman, Model 2 in Bartow and RSH-10 Thunderbeam in Marlinton). None of the state parks have sirens unless I missed one.

Also, this thread probably could have been posted in the "Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board" section of the forums. What would its purpose be, if not discussions like this?
I forgot which thread this was i posted in. But Bennett Springs State Park in Missouri surprisingly has a Model A/L and Darley Model 2 on the same pole. With a newer Federal Model 2 to replace it.
Just your average 14 year old Siren kid from O'Fallon. Living in a town with a mix of sirens.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:43 pm

The Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona has a Federal Signal Model 5 near the Bright Angel lodge. It sounds off every first Wednesday at noon, and whenever someone falls into the canyon. Supposedly they have more sirens, but I couldn't find any when I was down there this June.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:22 am

I just remembered that Harriman State Park in New York has several assorted ATIs belonging to the Indian Point Energy Center. It's strange because Harriman looks and feels like such a remote, natural, serene area but then you see these speaker arrays everywhere as you drive or hike around. I've read that the rotational ones actually don't rotate.

https://goo.gl/maps/B8FoFKD45etHqez77
https://goo.gl/maps/vifdK3bQAFaRYrUx9 (this one replaced some kind of Penetrator circa 2010)
https://goo.gl/maps/CEhDKpVVb7taNsrJ7
https://goo.gl/maps/iGS6nYpwqMSw6GYs7
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:32 am

For reference the sirens in Bennett springs state park jackson mentioned I should be able to get pictures of someday. Has far has I know there is a chance that they'd let you buy the older darley model 2 and model A/L has they are on the same poll, and that pole is so short that you can jump up and touch the siren. I also discovered it.
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:03 pm

The only one I could think of here in GA was a 2 that used to be in Fort Yargo State Park.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Greenfield1003
YouTube Username: Indy Metro Sirens

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:11 pm

Fort Benjamin Harrison State Park here in Indianapolis has a system of 2-3 Whelen WS-1000s. One of them malfunctioned and went off for 45 minutes!
YouTube: Indy Metro Sirens
Facebook: Elizabeth Ogorek
Instagram: indy.sirens_weather_trains

Purring Cat
YouTube Username: Purring Cat

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:17 pm

Lake McDonald Lodge at Glacier National Park, MT has some kind of Model L.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”