YorkMont Sirens
New User
YouTube Username: YorkMont Sirens

Albany, NY air raid siren

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:38 pm

I have found what I believe is a former civil defense siren in Albany, New York. It's an STL-10, and it is off Route 20/Western Rd. near the I-87/I-90 interchange. I have seen it in person several times, and I am not sure what it's purpose is at this point. It's still connected, so maybe it's a fire siren. There might be more sirens in the area, but this is the only one I have found that isn't located at a fire department. Here is a streetview picture of it.
Attachments
stl10.jpg
stl10.jpg (660.81 KiB) Viewed 3637 times

Someone22

Re: Albany, NY air raid siren

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:18 am

Nice find! From what I know, Albany, NY had three striped jailbar Thunderbolts. They were at: Albany County Supreme Court building, William S Hackett Middle School, and the police department at Western Avenue and W Lawrence street. They were installed in 1952, none of them remain sadly.

YorkMont Sirens
New User
YouTube Username: YorkMont Sirens

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:43 am

Wow, I didn't know that! I know Schenectady still has 1 or 2 Jailbar Thunderbolts in place, but who knows how long it's been since they were last in service.

VFD2
New User
YouTube Username: thisissparta789789

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 am

This siren was most likely never a CD siren. This is used by the McKownville VFD in Guilderland for calls. They also have a Model 2 at their firehouse that may or may not still be used. While having two sirens for the same purpose so close to each other may not make sense now, most VFDs here had multiple sirens back in the day. My department had a Sterling Little Giant atop Rotterdam's town hall that was only shut off in the early 2000s, aside from the Y-10 at our firehouse. Stanford Heights once had three: The Model 5 at their main station, a Model 2 somewhere in the northern end of their district, and a Model 2 at their old Station 2 (site of current one). Only the Model 5 remains today.

For another example, Shaker Road-Loudonville for years had a Thunderbolt on top of their old Station 1, an unknown siren on top of their Station 2, a Model 3(?) on top of a school in their district, and a disused Sterling on top of their old Station 1 that the Thunderbolt replaced. Only the Model 3(?) remains, and it doesn't always go off for fire calls.

KidCrazer14

YouTube Username: WarningSirensofUpstateNY

Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:29 pm

I've seen this thing so many times too, I was just wondering when they test?
I'm from Rensselaer County, NY, where we have a wide variety of sirens!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”