TBoyer1999

Banshee Manual

Sat May 16, 2020 10:47 pm

Welp, I stumbled upon something that has been requested before: an ACA Banshee manual available to the public. I found it embedded in another NRC document that talks about the Shoreham Nuclear Power Station's prompt notification system in 1984. The manual starts at page 176 of the document.

https://adamswebsearch2.nrc.gov/webSear ... L20111C096
Siren and railroad enthusiast

Residing in Silver Lake, Indiana, home of two FS 2001-130s and a mystery siren.

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Re: Banshee Manual

Sun May 17, 2020 4:31 am

Great find! I have a version of that manual without the acoustic testing photos that I scanned in late last year, along with some other stuff I need to get around to posting:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16sj_Dd ... sp=sharing

Speaking of those testing photos, in case you can't tell by the labels and acoustic testing section below the manuals, that was all done by ATI. Here's a little background on ATI's early days:

In 1981 ATI started as a consultant dealing with sound and acoustic testing, both with individual sirens in anechoic chambers/outdoor testing as well as system design and field testing. They were especially involved with nuclear power plants, a few that come to mind off the top of my head are Zimmer here in Clermont County, Catawba in South Carolina, and Palo Verde in Arizona. In 1988 they began producing sirens, and I'm honestly not entirely sure if they continued the consulting side of things beyond that. It would not surprise me if they did.

I got most of this information from Dr. Bassiouni, whose name you will see featured prominently in most of these acoustical studies. He is currently president and CEO at ATI.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

NahIDee
YouTube Username: jcb19 (formerly AGuyNamedJC)
Discord: somebody2950

Re: Banshee Manual

Sun May 17, 2020 5:56 pm

4J25 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:31 am
Great find! I have a version of that manual without the acoustic testing photos that I scanned in late last year, along with some other stuff I need to get around to posting:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16sj_Dd ... sp=sharing

Speaking of those testing photos, in case you can't tell by the labels and acoustic testing section below the manuals, that was all done by ATI. Here's a little background on ATI's early days:

In 1981 ATI started as a consultant dealing with sound and acoustic testing, both with individual sirens in anechoic chambers/outdoor testing as well as system design and field testing. They were especially involved with nuclear power plants, a few that come to mind off the top of my head are Zimmer here in Clermont County, Catawba in South Carolina, and Palo Verde in Arizona. In 1988 they began producing sirens, and I'm honestly not entirely sure if they continued the consulting side of things beyond that. It would not surprise me if they did.

I got most of this information from Dr. Bassiouni, whose name you will see featured prominently in most of these acoustical studies. He is currently president and CEO at ATI.
I found this checklist in my siren's control cabinet and as you can see, the customer name is Acoustic Technology Inc.
The siren in question was one of the 90-100 P10 and P15 sirens installed around the Fort Calhoun nuclear power plant in Nebraska.
With that said, I think it would be safe to assume that ATI possibly did the work with designing the system for the Omaha Public Power District.
Attachments
image0.jpg
ACA Procedure Checklist - P10/15.
(Don't ask why the picture is upside-down, I tried to fix it)
image0.jpg (1004.09 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
Greetings from Saint Paul, Nebraska!

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”