Re: Franklin County, Ohio Siren Discussion

Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:50 am

tkovack1 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:58 pm
Fletch wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:21 am
tkovack1 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:25 am

That one has actually been there for about 20 years now as it has a digital ESC-864 controller. Here's a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAqrVSG-rZs
Maybe it was moved? It's not there on StreetView in Aug. 2019
Oh it's there alright. It's just harder to see in the newer StreetView images due to the new building being constructed in front of it from McKinley Avenue.
It was moved closer to the intersection then.

JonTishBass
YouTube Username: JW Tish

Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:19 am

Quite a few of a Franklin County's sirens have been moved over the past few years, I'm not sure why, but is is something I've been noticing. Also can we confirm that none of the Whelen WPS-3000's in the Franklin County system are analog anymore? I feel like all of the analog ESC-864's have been dumped off on WPS-4004's.
Jon Tish
Train & Siren Enthusiast From Groveport, OH
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

Tuba

Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:38 pm

Not Franklin County, but Madison (One country westward)

A tornado was recently issued for the southeastern portion of the county and I found a snapchat story that showed their whelens going off in wail. I understand Madison County isn’t well documented, so I’d thought I should slip this in if anyone’s curious.
Whelen gang

Startug
YouTube Username: Ohio Sirens
Discord: JamesFisch

Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:22 pm

The Thunderbolt 1000T behind the OSU bus garage was removed this month, I believe a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if it's still sitting behind it or if it's been sold for scrap already. The 1000T on 11th Ave near the University is still there.
Owner of no sirens currently, but is looking to purchase and restore sirens for communities needing them.

BenjaminP50

Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:16 pm

Anybody remember what happened to Whetstone Parks 4004?? I remember it was dual tone...

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:54 pm

The controller likely either got swapped out with another unit's controller, or changed from dual tone to single tone. EMA often times will play "musical controllers" with their units, changing them around from siren to siren. Some siren in the county now has Minerva Park's analog controller, and Minerva Park now has a newer controller. I think the 530Hz one might've gotten swapped at some point too.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

tkovack1

YouTube Username: Tommy's Sirens & Aviation

Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:09 pm

While I can't confirm this, it is believed that the analog ESC-864 originally from the Whetstone Park 4004 was relocated to the unit off of Merlin Drive behind the Kroger off of Schrock Road in Westerville sometime between 2014 and 2015, considering that the pitch it's set to is the exact same, and the Whetstone Park unit was updated with a new ESC-2030 controller. As for the Minerva Park 3000, that siren now has a digital ESC-864 controller as of June 2019, and it is believed that that unit and the 4004 at McCoy Park just south of downtown Columbus had their controllers swapped sometime between 2017 and 2018 for the same reason. The McCoy Park unit originally had a digital 864, and now has an analog 864. I don't know why Franklin County likes to swap controllers with their sirens sometimes.

Also, Tuba, do you happen to have saved that Snapchat story of Madison County's Whelens going off in wail or where exactly in the county it was recorded? I tried looking on both Snapchat and YouTube but couldn't find anything. Are you sure those weren't Dublin's?

Tuba

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:30 am

tkovack1 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:09 pm

Also, Tuba, do you happen to have saved that Snapchat story of Madison County's Whelens going off in wail or where exactly in the county it was recorded? I tried looking on both Snapchat and YouTube but couldn't find anything. Are you sure those weren't Dublin's?
Ah I knew I was missing something! No I unfortunately did not and I know for sure it was London’s, as that’s where it was on the snap map, Dublin’s sirens did not activate, and I’m not sure if and Franklin County ones did either.

Speaking of Madison County, I don’t believe any test by them has ever been recorded. Does anyone even know when they test? I know the map says every Wednesday @noon, but I’m not sure where this is coming from.
Whelen gang

JonTishBass
YouTube Username: JW Tish

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:05 pm

I'm pretty sure the controller on the McCord Park (Worthington) 3016 somehow ended up on the McCoy Park 4004, considering they both peak at 775 hz and end at 320 hz, which is quite a bit different than the Minerva Park 3016, which ends at 310 hz. As for the digital that was on the McCoy Park 4004, it could've been placed on the Minerva 3016. But the controller on Minerva was most likely placed on an older 4004 East of Columbus.
Jon Tish
Train & Siren Enthusiast From Groveport, OH
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:50 pm

Whetstone Park and Merlin both had analog controllers at the same time, Merlin’s has sounded the same as Whetstone’s for a long time. Whetstone’s probably got switched to something else, or the controller died. Sometimes, Analog 864s just die without explanation.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Return to “Community Systems”