SIRENMAN

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:02 am

I went to school there and in 3rd grade I had Mrs. Brown and her classroom was directly under the siren. There was a roof hatch in the coat closet. One day my father came to the class and had to get up in the hatch and on the roof to repair something. When he was done he blew the siren and came down from the roof and explained to the class what he did. That was about 1964

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:28 pm

That sounds very cool! I haven’t mentioned this before, but when I was in 6th grade at Whitaker Elementary in fall 2007, a couple guys were on the roof I believe fixing the rotator of the Thunderbolt that used to be on the school. I watched a little bit from a few places inside the school as well as outside during recess. I’m not sure if you were one of the guys or just two guys who worked for you, but I seem to recall one of your blue vans being in the back parking lot, and a growl test was conducted when the work was complete. Our principal made an announcement to warn everyone it would go off.

Obviously, this is the siren that sparked my interest.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

SIRENMAN

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:09 am

Yep I remember going in and telling the office I was going to blow the siren in a test.

nickrusche

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:36 am

SIRENMAN, I remember driving down Church Street in St. Bernard when I was in 7th or 8th grade and looking over as we went past Vine Street Park and seeing you and one of your employees installing the siren that used to be on the Nu-Maid Plant on top of the elementary school. I think my father, the police chief at the time, worked with you on picking a location for the siren.

I know that St. Bernard/Elmwood Place is currently in the process of building a new school and the current elementary school and high school are going to be demolished. Is the siren going to be removed before the school is demolished or will it be removed?

Thanks!

SIRENMAN

Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:35 am

Nice story. Thanks. I am not sure it would be coming down separately, but I will ask EMA

Hannah
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:54 pm

i own the elmwood place library bolt that used to set next to the sirodrone. most of the community is aware by now but this is for those who arnt aware. figured id clarify.
Female enthusiast who is the owner of many large and small sirens, misc controls, timers etc. (too many to list in this small space) all big sirens came from cincinnatis old system.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:20 pm

I would guess that Hamilton County’s system is fully upgraded to the new software at this point? I was home for today’s test, and it sounded interesting. Distant sirens that were tested first were shut off before the sirens near my house were activated.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:18 pm

Clermont county did something similar. Today I heard one of Blanchester's units go before Goshen's Penetrator wound up.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:30 am

Ohio_Man wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:18 pm
Clermont county did something similar. Today I heard one of Blanchester's units go before Goshen's Penetrator wound up.
Blanchester?! There's no way you heard Blan's sirens. Blanchester is in Clinton County and tests with the rest of the county on the first Saturday of the month, not the first Wednesday like Clermont, Hamilton, Butler and Warren Counties. Maybe you heard some of Warren County's sirens start before Clermont's.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:35 am

I was not aware of that.

Looking at the map now I realize how far away Blanchester is and can rule that out.

I heard something other than the Penetrator that sounded like a sentry 10V so I guessed it was Blanchester. I also thought the model 5 in the middle of town did noon blasts, but that's a long way to carry for a small siren.

Any idea what the other siren I heard was?

Getting back on topic, The previous month I was at the pull n pay getting a used radio and I heard a faint ambience before a closer siren wound up. The gap in between had to be less than 20 seconds, maybe 15. So Clermont seems to be doing something similar to Hamilton.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

Return to “Community Systems”