WPS4004Man

Re: Franklin County, Ohio Siren Discussion

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:43 am

Did I hear the southwest zone do a full 3 minutes the second activation yesterday? Could’ve sworn I heard an ESC-2020 at 12:05. Perhaps one siren failed to pick up cancellation tones.
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

JonTishBass
YouTube Username: JW Tish

Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:47 am

WPS4004Man wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:43 am
Did I hear the southwest zone do a full 3 minutes the second activation yesterday? Could’ve sworn I heard an ESC-2020 at 12:05. Perhaps one siren failed to pick up cancellation tones.
There's quite the possibility, I heard tones come through Franklin County's frequency about a minute or so after the second cycle, so I'd say probably.
Jon Tish
Train & Siren Enthusiast From Groveport, OH
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

Tuba

Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:37 pm

Hey all. I drove by the CSX rail yard on the West side (basically in Hilliard) and saw a 5-cell Whelen omni. I understand that Franklin County also have 3 more at Rickenbacker airport, and I believe that those are tested by Franklin Co. Any information on this one? There’s a 3016 not too far away from it.

It has been added to the map for reference.
Whelen gang

WPS4004Man

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:36 am

Interesting. The 3 at Rickenbacker I believe are operated by the National Guard as a base speaker system, which are in place at every military base in the country. The CSX yard siren I have no information about, but I can’t see it on the Ohio map I use.

Tuba

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:10 pm

WPS4004Man wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:36 am
Interesting. The 3 at Rickenbacker I believe are operated by the National Guard as a base speaker system, which are in place at every military base in the country. The CSX yard siren I have no information about, but I can’t see it on the Ohio map I use.
Ah thanks for the clarification on the Rickenbacker ones. The only map I have access to edit is the Central Ohio one made by Trashbeam.
Whelen gang

Тһundеrbοlt1000Tfan

YouTube Username: Thunderbolt1000Tfan

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:11 am

JonTishBass wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:28 pm
Can we confirm that McCoy Park's WPS-4004 has the analog ESC-864 that came off of McCord Parks's WPS-3016? Cutoff pitch is the exact same, and both had their controllers swapped at around the same time period.
The one at McCord had the 2030 by the time I recorded it in April of 2014. I'm not sure exactly when the one at McCoy had its controller swapped, but it couldn't have been any earlier than June of 2013 considering SRP recorded it at that time and it still had the digital controller. That means the one at McCoy could've been switched any time between mid-2013 and early 2019, unless there's evidence that points to a more specific time period.
Owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Model J siren.

JonTishBass

Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:10 pm

Тһundеrbοlt1000Tfan wrote:
JonTishBass wrote:
Can we confirm that McCoy Park's WPS-4004 has the analog ESC-864 that came off of McCord Parks's WPS-3016? Cutoff pitch is the exact same, and both had their controllers swapped at around the same time period.
The one at McCord had the 2030 by the time I recorded it in April of 2014. I'm not sure exactly when the one at McCoy had its controller swapped, but it couldn't have been any earlier than June of 2013 considering SRP recorded it at that time and it still had the digital controller. That means the one at McCoy could've been switched any time between mid-2013 and early 2019, unless there's evidence that points to a more specific time period.
I have a question though, did they replace the entire controller on McCoy? or just the boards? Because it has an 864 cabinet now
Jon Tish
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

Тһundеrbοlt1000Tfan

YouTube Username: Thunderbolt1000Tfan

Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:00 am

JonTishBass wrote:
JonTishBass wrote:
I have a question though, did they replace the entire controller on McCoy? or just the boards? Because it has an 864 cabinet now
It was probably just the boards, because the cabinet looks exactly the same as it did when it still had the 465 Hz tone. Plus, it would probably be more convenient for them to just switch the boards since if they switched the whole cabinet, they'd probably have to redo the conduit and all that. It has always been an 864, just used to be a digital and now it's an analog.
Owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Model J siren.

JonTishBass

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:34 pm

Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:00 am
JonTishBass wrote:

It was probably just the boards, because the cabinet looks exactly the same as it did when it still had the 465 Hz tone. Plus, it would probably be more convenient for them to just switch the boards since if they switched the whole cabinet, they'd probably have to redo the conduit and all that. It has always been an 864, just used to be a digital and now it's an analog.
Huh, not sure why someone said it had a 2030
Jon Tish
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

WPS4004Man

Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:01 am

If anyone is aware of the 4004 near the intersection of McKinley and Trabue Roads near Hilliard, this siren recently got moved about 800 feet north of its old location, to make room for new apartments. Also probably because it was really close to the apartments there already. I went by there the other day and the dirt looked like it had been dug up recently, maybe within the past month. I'm not sure about what controller it had previously, or now, but they like to update controllers so it's probably a 2030 by now.

Return to “Community Systems”