Alarms9000

What is a good starter siren that is easiest to wire, the cheapest and least loud.

Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:37 pm

I am looking into becoming a siren enthusiast and own a siren, my house only has a small garage and my bedroom is small. I need a siren that can be stored easily in a small closet and will not annoy people outside. So yes, If somebody that is a siren enthusiast can answer me that would be nice.
I DONT OWN SIRENS AS OF NOW SADLY :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

OnlineRecords0
Discord: OnlineRecords0

Re: What is a good starter siren that is easiest to wire, the cheapest and least loud.

Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:04 am

I would say a Model 2. They are small; small enough to sit on a shelf or a big enough closet. They aren’t one of the sirens that weigh 300 lbs. If you can find a 120 volt model, the most you’ll need would be a plug that gives off 24 amps. Pretty nice little siren. There’s some on eBay occasionally but you just have to hope theres one for sale and for a reasonable price. They are around 102 decibels @ 100 feet, so if you wanted to use it, you would probably want to go to a place with less people.

Hope this helped. Sorry if it didn’t.
•OnlineRecords0
occasionally around, who even knows.
8-)

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Re: What is a good starter siren that is easiest to wire, the cheapest and least loud.

Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:13 am

DSA's are good quality and are comparably cheap for a new siren.

Start with smaller sirens like vehicle or indoor factory sirens. (model D, Sentry F2 or clone)

Not everyone on the board has a siren. I dont have the real estate or budget for much anyway.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

OnlineRecords0
Discord: OnlineRecords0

Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:17 am

Ohio_Man wrote:
I agree. You can get a brand new DSA 2 for 1.4K. Most other companies offer their sirens for a lot more. If you have around 3K bucks to spend on sirens, you can get an eclipse NH. The problem with the DSA is that without a controller, it’s basically just a speaker.

Federal Signal Pricing: https://procure.ohio.gov/pricelist/7763 ... celist.pdf

American Signal Pricing: https://procure.ohio.gov/pricelist/800012pricelist.pdf
•OnlineRecords0
occasionally around, who even knows.
8-)

uncommonsense

Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:08 am

Ohio_Man wrote:
Exactly what would you suggest OP do with a controller less DSA that they couldn’t do with an $80 stereo from Target?

OP, if you’re new, sirens are just large noise making paperweights unless you know what you’re doing. Be it with electrics, wiring, etc. I assure you a real CD type siren will not store well or keep the neighbors happy. Look to small sirens like a Model A or L you can easily run on 120.

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:46 am

A Model 2 would take up the majority of the space inside a small closet. While they are small compared to other sirens, they are still fairly large, especially with the housing. I'd say the best starter siren you could get is a Model A, Model D, or Model L.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

Alarms9000

Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:20 pm

I need something that will run on a 15 amp plug as none of the circuits in my home are more then 20 except the stove and the dryer outlets. I don't want to mess up the circuits or melt anything. Or worse start a fire.
I DONT OWN SIRENS AS OF NOW SADLY :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

NahIDee
YouTube Username: jcb19 (formerly AGuyNamedJC)
Discord: somebody2950

Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:49 pm

Alarms9000 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:20 pm
I need something that will run on a 15 amp plug as none of the circuits in my home are more then 20 except the stove and the dryer outlets. I don't want to mess up the circuits or melt anything. Or worse start a fire.
Some of the smaller, 120VAC sirens such as the Model A, D, J, and L sirens, draw a low amperage; usually less than 5 amps.
Greetings from Saint Paul, Nebraska!

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

CanadianTbolt1003
YouTube Username: Sirens & Thunderbolts 1003

Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 pm

I would try getting smaller sirens like the Model D, A, etc... those sirens are small and easy to use just wire a plug onto it or a battery depending on if it's AC or DC they are really easy to use.
Proud owner of:
• Federal Sign & Signal STH-10
• Non-working Federal Enterprises Model 2
• Sterling 2v8
• '86 Federal Signal Canadian Model 2-3Z
• Federal Sign & Signal Model D

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:06 am

check around Ebay & see if you can get a Model A or Model L. they're small, easy to store, can be powered off of a normal wall outlet, and wont bug your neighbors too much. I got mine for 85 ish on ebay, and they seem to pop up fairly often.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”