The Siren Board

Discussion of Outdoor Warning Systems
It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:51 am 

A few minutes ago my NOAA radio just went off for a statewide test at 12:45 AM. Anyone else had this happen before? The station here is WXL-33 on 162.55MHz by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:55 am 

That's gotta be the strangest thing to happen in the middle of the night, besides having your smoke detector going off. That happened to me & my grandparents at least in the last 10 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:03 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

YouTube Username: DL1011
I have every alert on mine disabled except for TOR. Life is a lot less disruptive that way....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:11 pm 

SirenkiD wrote:
I have every alert on mine disabled except for TOR. Life is a lot less disruptive that way....
Both of mine are too old to have SAME coding, but really the only alerts we ever get are tests, severe thunderstorms, and flash floods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:44 pm 

YouTube Username: Oldiesmann
I hope that was a mistake...

Mine doesn't have the ability to filter by alert type either, but it doesn't really bother me if it sounds for something in the middle of the night. I'd much rather be woken up in the middle of the night for nothing than not be warned of potentially dangerous storms.

The only time it got annoying was when I forgot to set it to only go off for alerts issued for my county. The local weather radio station covers a huge area, so it kept going off for flood watches and warnings for counties an hour or more east of here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:19 pm 

Oldiesmann wrote:
The only time it got annoying was when I forgot to set it to only go off for alerts issued for my county. The local weather radio station covers a huge area, so it kept going off for flood watches and warnings for counties an hour or more east of here.
Neither of mine even offer that, they're too basic and/or old. Also, I agree about the warnings in the middle of the night, but a test?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:36 pm 

Another oddity, today it tested twice. Once at 10:45 and again at 12:00.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:44 pm 

YouTube Username: SilverThunder710
I've never seen a test happen in-person outside of the 11 AM to 12 PM window. For something like that to happen is almost certainly an error in the system, as 12:45 AM may have been put in instead of 12:45 PM, which is an acceptable time for most RMTs. Also, considering the state in which this happened, it actually may have been the right time, since Idaho apparently has a strange testing schedule. I'm unused to this, being a native Texan. I know I'm almost a decade after this post, but maybe this could clear it up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:00 pm 

SilverThunder710YT wrote: *
I've never seen a test happen in-person outside of the 11 AM to 12 PM window. For something like that to happen is almost certainly an error in the system, as 12:45 AM may have been put in instead of 12:45 PM, which is an acceptable time for most RMTs. Also, considering the state in which this happened, it actually may have been the right time, since Idaho apparently has a strange testing schedule. I'm unused to this, being a native Texan. I know I'm almost a decade after this post, but maybe this could clear it up.
I hadn't considered an AM/PM mixup (insert how terrible 12-hour time is), but I suppose it's possible. WXL33 is generally very consistent with testing near 11:00 AM, though. 12:45PM would have been very late. Additionally, the tests have what I assume is live voice every time. It would be weird to mix up the time if a live person was reading the script. Could be a recording from earlier in the day, I guess? But each test is unique, so unless they're doing a unique recording every week before the test occurs...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:34 am 

YouTube Username: SilverThunder710
Ziginox wrote: *
SilverThunder710YT wrote: *
I hadn't considered an AM/PM mixup (insert how terrible 12-hour time is), but I suppose it's possible. WXL33 is generally very consistent with testing near 11:00 AM, though. 12:45PM would have been very late. Additionally, the tests have what I assume is live voice every time. It would be weird to mix up the time if a live person was reading the script. Could be a recording from earlier in the day, I guess? But each test is unique, so unless they're doing a unique recording every week before the test occurs...
Hold up for a second though, was it a Required WEEKLY Test or a Required MONTHLY Test?