coastalsyrolover

Re: Yellow & Black Striped Thunderbolt

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:16 am

justie1220 wrote:This is slightly off topic but in lot of old Federal Signal Advertisements most from the early fifties, the rotator box and the blower covers all have that curved design but every thunderbolt recorded even the earliest of them show no sign of having this design. Whats up with that? (Sorry if this has been asked before. I get the nagging feeling that it has been explained but I am not 100% sure)
IIRC the earliest thunderbolts were designed that way... But I'm not entirely sure...
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

connerdstines

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:20 am

That one was a design prototype. The final production models look like they do now, with the exception of early ones having the "jailbar" projector.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

QuantumCurse
YouTube Username: Owen Yokley

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:17 am

This is a little off topic but that chopper cap on the prototype thunderbolt seems to be bigger. And why is the flange so close to the blower box? That would mean there's about 10 feet of extra pipe between it and the rotator box if that picture is to scale. That design seems to be ineffective in my opinion and a little cumbersome to put into action. Just being a little nitpicky.
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.
From the state that was first in flight and last to fight

connerdstines

Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:40 am

QuantumCurse wrote:This is a little off topic but that chopper cap on the prototype thunderbolt seems to be bigger. And why is the flange so close to the blower box? That would mean there's about 10 feet of extra pipe between it and the rotator box if that picture is to scale. That design seems to be ineffective in my opinion and a little cumbersome to put into action. Just being a little nitpicky.
The prototype looks like it was specifically designed around roof-mounting. There is an actual picture of this prototype mounted on a roof somewhere, but i can't remember where to look for it. Again, it was a prototype and VERY different from the final design.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

QuantumCurse
YouTube Username: Owen Yokley

Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:59 am

connerdstines wrote:
QuantumCurse wrote:This is a little off topic but that chopper cap on the prototype thunderbolt seems to be bigger. And why is the flange so close to the blower box? That would mean there's about 10 feet of extra pipe between it and the rotator box if that picture is to scale. That design seems to be ineffective in my opinion and a little cumbersome to put into action. Just being a little nitpicky.
The prototype looks like it was specifically designed around roof-mounting. There is an actual picture of this prototype mounted on a roof somewhere, but i can't remember where to look for it. Again, it was a prototype and VERY different from the final design.
I saw the forum thread about a picture that was the prototype being sold on eBay. Did anyone figure out what happened to it?
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.
From the state that was first in flight and last to fight

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:48 pm

QuantumCurse wrote:
connerdstines wrote:
I saw the forum thread about a picture that was the prototype being sold on eBay. Did anyone figure out what happened to it?
I suspect it was sold of course, but sadly the picture is no longer visible as for the listing on eBay has disappeared. Someone probably saved that image, and I think it's on my iPad Mini, but it might be gone.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

chevycaprice

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:30 pm

:) that is very interesting did not know that there was thunderbolt sirens with strips on them until now. :TBolt:

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:25 am

Here's the Thunderbolt prototype pic..
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

connerdstines

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:04 am

So weird looking. Looks like one of those cheap sheet metal decor items you get at Hobby Lobby.

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:05 am

CDV777-1 wrote:Here's the Thunderbolt prototype pic..
So weird... wonder what it sounded like?
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”