The Siren Board

Discussion of Outdoor Warning Systems
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:27 am 

YouTube Username: DJ2226
Saw this on Facebook a few minutes ago and figured I'd share it with everyone. We don't know what it's called at the moment, but it can go from 400 watts all the way to to 4800 watts like the original Quadren series. We knew that ASC was developing something a couple years ago when they posted some CAD drawings on their page. It is a super compact omnidirectional speaker array basically. I don't know if this is a replacement for the I-Force and E-Class lineup. It looks like ASC is wanting to really compete with Sentry for the smallest, most powerful electronic siren. Personally I would have rather them make a bigger omnidirectional siren with the guts of the T-135 AC/DC, but it's good to see new sirens on the market. I'm keen on what drives this siren. It looks like the Sentry VR with 200 watt speakers instead of 120 watt ones.

[ img ]

Last edited by DJ2226 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:36 am 

YouTube Username: Siren_Psycho
Looks like they could be on to something here. Easy accessibility to drivers, very lightweight, compact, and modular. You could almost treat it like a Quadren and install it on walls and in corners of factories. They go up to 4800W as well. An omni T-135 would've been cool though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:52 am 

YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: Snowcube
This is pretty neat, looks like they literally took midrange horns meant for in concert speakers and stuck them in a box. I had an idea for a similar system a few years ago that I had posted here, I wonder if they got some "inspiration" from it. :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:32 pm 

YouTube Username: DJ2226
I have a small bump here. As you can tell by the title change ASC has a name for their new product, and it's called the ASC Clarity Voice Array. After doing some research on the design I figured out what horns they are using: the JBL Selenium HM17-25. They are fairly inexpensive horns used in mainly studio monitors, car audio solutions, etc. Due to their size the performance isn't quite as high compared to something like the Atlas CJ-46. At 100 watts they produce 105 and 131 dB at one meter respectively, but the trade off is a super light and tiny siren array. To put the size of it into perspective the horn measures in at 6.3" X 5.7" X 4.1" (W X H X L).

Horn and specs: https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/sel ... tLuo#Specs

[ img ]

There's a video of it that was posted to ASC's apparently new YouTube account. With this design we've basically witnessed the rebirth of the omnidirectional Alertronic in a more compact and high STi form. It's pretty obvious that this is meant to compete with the Sentry VR. ASC still appears to be working out the kinks in their new array, but it's shaping up to be an interesting unit. I am interested in how it performs, because watt per watt the horns take a serious hit in SPL. With the way it sounds it looks like they are still using the typical ASC gear (amps, RTU, recording gear at the shop, etc.) but swapped their standard drivers for some of JBL's titanium based drivers. If I had to guess they are using the D220 Ti driver, which is rated for 100 watts and has a frequency response of 1,000 to 21,000 Hz. How well it will hold up under pressure from the square-ish sounding waveform coming off the tone generator is kind of up in the air, since these are supposed to be used mainly for tweeters. ASC appears to also be marketing this as a voice solution, so they may not be used in typical tone based systems.

With that said, the announcer is the same guy that has done their other recordings. If you compare how this thing sounds to other systems that he has done voice messages for, a couple of those being Berry College in Rome, GA and LaPorte County, IN, the difference is night and day. It still sounds kind of rough, but the higher frequencies come through way better. I think the Sentry VR has the upper hand in clarity, but this thing is not too far off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doyq9U2uwHw