The Siren Board

Discussion of Outdoor Warning Systems
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:12 pm 
New User

I am looking into automating my town's outdoor warning siren and I'm looking for a bit of guidance as this is a little bit outside of my comfort zone. I'm not sure of the siren but I do know that it is an omni-directional Federal Signal siren. The siren is operational but has been sitting dormant for a number of years due to the fact that the only way to control the siren is by using hard-wired start/stop buttons and that is not generally optimal in the event of a tornado warning. I have a radio and a DTMF decoder picked out and I am going to be using an Arduino with a custom program to handle all of the siren logic (warning time, etc). The only component I was able to access from ground level was the RC-5A control box which I have pictured below. I have searched for a more in-depth manual but have been unable to find one.

From what I understand from the schematic attached to the control box, there are three locations to install on/off control switches. My plan is to have relays from the arduino in place of the start/stop switches. Is this feasible, or is there another way I should be doing this?

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

YouTube Username: Jsncrso
Your pictures aren't loading, but from what you describe, that should work just fine. All you need for the RC-5 (which is nothing but a motor starter contactor), is a dry contact closure relay that can handle 1A and 240v. You can also rig up a simple cube relay with a delay-off function to serve as your logic if you don't want to go the Arduino route.