The Siren Board

Discussion of Outdoor Warning Systems
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 1:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:20 pm 

Hey everyone,

I had a question about model 5/7s, is it possible to run a single phase one on 120V? I've always wanted a 5/7 and I figured I'd better learn as much as I can about them before I pick one up from WSS.

Thanks in advance, Milo

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:51 am 

YouTube Username: jcb19 (formerly AGuyNamedJC)
Discord: Somebody#2950
Tboltguy wrote: *
Hey everyone,

I had a question about model 5/7s, is it possible to run a single phase one on 120V? I've always wanted a 5/7 and I figured I'd better learn as much as I can about them before I pick one up from WSS.

Thanks in advance, Milo
You should be able to no problem, but you won't be able to run it up to full speed due to the fact that Model 5's and 7's only came in 240VAC single-phase.

Proud owner of one of Ft. Calhoun's former ACA P10s, a Sentry F2, Federal Model A, Model J, Model C, a Klaxon Mono AH... and an MS-190.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:08 am 

nahIDee wrote: *
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance, Milo
You should be able to no problem, but you won't be able to run it up to full speed due to the fact that Model 5's and 7's only came in 240VAC single-phase.
Cool, thanks. I can’t run it up to full speed anyway since the siren would be housed in my storage unit, not at my house.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:14 pm 

Got to ask, just dumb curiosity more than anything.
You have quite a list of sirens that you own. So of which are no doubt 3 phase.

Why not get a 20 or 30KW 3 phase generator on a trailer that will run them and is portable so you can properly sound your sirens?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:34 am 

kb8vul wrote: *

Why not get a 20 or 30KW 3 phase generator on a trailer that will run them and is portable so you can properly sound your sirens?
All of my sirens are ran on 120V, also I can’t buy a trailer, WAY too expensive plus I think in IL you need some kind of special license of those types of trailers, I may be wrong though.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:52 pm 

All of my sirens are ran on 120V, also I can’t buy a trailer, WAY too expensive plus I think in IL you need some kind of special license of those types of trailers, I may be wrong though.
A car trailer would work. Generator should be between 2 and 4 thousand... Trailer should be about 1500. so under 5K. and how are you running a thunderbolt on 120 volts. The blower motor is 7 HP? It would have to be at least 220?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:00 am 

A car trailer would work. Generator should be between 2 and 4 thousand... Trailer should be about 1500. so under 5K. and how are you running a thunderbolt on 120 volts. The blower motor is 7 HP? It would have to be at least 220?
I don't have a blower, I only have the head. The chopper runs on 120V and so does the rotator if you wire it up correctly.