The Siren Board

Discussion of Outdoor Warning Systems
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mini/3d Printed sirens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:52 pm 

YouTube Username: Timmy 73
Hi y'all. I have recently been watching some videos of mini Thunderbolt sirens on Youtube that people have made. It has influenced me to make a picture-perfect recreation of a 2001-130. Anyway, I cant find any models for Thunderbolts online, and none of the original creators have posted the models anywhere. Does anyone have a working model I can make? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:04 am 

YouTube Username: Billstern
It would help if we knew what kind of printer you had. A 500x500mm model would have to be scaled down for a printer like my anet A8 that can only run a 200x200mm print.

Thunderbolts are very complex. If you were to make a 3D printed model 7 or ASC E class I'd say it could be done. But a thunderbolt has a belt driven blower, collector rings, an agastat, and more.

It could be done I've seen a 3D printed manual transmission model but I don't think anyone has digitized a thunderbolt with a scanner or anything. They're the 4th most complex mechanical siren out there (3 is ACA hurricane 2 is gas Mobil director and one is the Chrysler victory bell)

No one's done it yet (that I know of) but it very well could be done.

I'd start with something simpler like a mini SD 10 or something. Broken solar panel on YouTube actually made a mini working SD10. Say what you want about him but he can 3D print a working siren that's actually got a stator and isn't a speaker.

If you do get any files I'd be happy to know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:48 am 

There is a website that has a HO scale/ 1/87 scale mini sirens, Thunderbolts, Model 2 and 5, STH-10, 2t22, and a 1/25 scale thunderbolt. Those models are the ones you build yourself. They are Ralph Ratcliffe models.

I do not own any sirens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:40 am 

Ohio_Man wrote: *
I'd start with something simpler like a mini SD 10 or something. Broken solar panel on YouTube actually made a mini working SD10. Say what you want about him but he can 3D print a working siren that's actually got a stator and isn't a speaker.

If you do get any files I'd be happy to know.
I am already done with a model 2001. Also why doesnt BSP let anyone use his 3d models

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:41 am 

Palmspringslocator2 wrote: *
There is a website that has a HO scale/ 1/87 scale mini sirens, Thunderbolts, Model 2 and 5, STH-10, 2t22, and a 1/25 scale thunderbolt. Those models are the ones you build yourself. They are Ralph Ratcliffe models.
Do they work

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:33 pm 

Timmy-73 wrote: *
Palmspringslocator2 wrote: *
Do they work
No, they don't sadly.

I do not own any sirens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:15 am 

crap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:12 am 

Most mini working sirens are homemade, either with 3d printer or doing it full from scratch. Some mini sirens are made by buying one of those $20 sirens from eBay, and either customizing it like making a custom shroud and all that.

I do not own any sirens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:04 pm 

Timmy-73 wrote: *
crap
I'm not an admin, and I don't have any power to reprimand anyone, but please refrain from making comments like "crap". They waste space and give the board an overall bad image.

Your car, air conditioner, burglar alarm, fire alarm, siren, and plane enthusiast.

Proud owner of a few General Electric door contact alarms, a Honeywell Ademco 6160 Keypad, and various electronic widgets.