CarolinaHurricane20

City of Raleigh's Flood Warning Sirens

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:45 pm

Hello, I was wondering about the City of Raleigh's Flood Warning Sirens. Does anyone know when they test?

kb4mdz

Re: City of Raleigh's Flood Warning Sirens

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:25 am

[quote=CarolinaHurricane20 post_id=201127 time=1593539134 user_id=159578]
Hello, I was wondering about the City of Raleigh's Flood Warning Sirens. Does anyone know when they test?
[/quote]

(when I was working for the company that did the testing..) No set schedule, except it had to be done every 3 months.

CarolinaHurricane20

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:38 pm

Thank you. Can you tell me the next time they will do servicing on the sirens? Thanks

kb4mdz

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:41 pm

[quote=CarolinaHurricane20 post_id=201240 time=1594219124 user_id=159578]
Thank you. Can you tell me the next time they will do servicing on the sirens? Thanks
[/quote]

There's the rub; I haven't worked for that company for over 10 years. No contact, no knowledge of their schedule.

If you're close to NCSU Campus, you many be able to hear the one on Avent Ferry Road. at Brigadoon Drive, or maybe the one called Kirkland Drive, #A11, on Smith Reno Road.

While I was doing them I would set off the "Westminster Chimes'

A really fun one was doing it at Apollo Heights Park, just south of Poole Road, at the Community Center, when it was summer & the local kids were there. Couple times they came outside just before I did the full volume test, I told them to hold their ears. BEEEE-DOOO-BEEEE-DOOOO.....

"DO IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :lol: :? :D

CarolinaHurricane20

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:47 pm

Thanks for the response! I go down to Lake Johnston once in a while to boat, and I have seen the siren there. Strange that I haven't heard it go off before. Here are some questions. (sorry if I am asking too much :)) 1. Was there an actual emergency activation once? 2. What sirens did the 115s replace? 3. What number can I call to ask the city about the sirens? I recall seeing a number to call for questions? But I forgot. 4. Do they do voice? What is the testing procedure? Thank you!
P.S. I recorded a SHNPP 2910 today. I will release it sometime.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 pm

No voice, and there was no existing system before the 115's.

CarolinaHurricane20

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 pm

Alright. Thanks!

Eric-

YouTube Username: Carolina Trains N Sirens

Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:37 pm

#1 Do they test the sirens with Sharon Harris? There are rumors of it being so. #2 Do you have any contact of someone who tests the sirens. #3 Do the sirens go off for any flood warning or does it have to be a certain height. If you know any of these questions.

kb4mdz

Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:27 am

Wow, dredged this one up from the archives!!

OK, I'll try to clear up a few things. But know, I have not been directly associated with the system since, like, late 2010. That's 13 years.

1) Test with Shearon Harris? No, certainly not when I was asociated with the outside contractor doing the maintenance; Rumors, I would say, would be false.

2) No contact with who tests them now. Not for 13 years. I don't even know who has the contract, of if City of Raleigh now handles it internally. When I was handling it with the contractor, the whole siren system had to be tested once per quarter, and it usually took a couple days with 2 techs and a bucket truck to do them all. No particular schedule.

3) Sirens are supposed to go off if the level at the dams gets to (I think, and that's a big think) within one foot of the top of the spillway. Or, at least that's what I was told at the time.

FWIW, dams are Lake Johnson, Lake Wheeler, and Lake Benson.

Here's a link to a map of them all, from way back then: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

Eric-

YouTube Username: Carolina Trains N Sirens

Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:05 pm

Okay, thank you so much. Do you know when Meredith College tests or any of those colleges around?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”