uncommonsense

Re: Advice For Newer Enthusiasts?

Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:19 am

kb8vul wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:59 am
SuperBanshee836335 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:31 pm
I have some advice for getting sirens:

1: Look for abandoned, broken, or inactive sirens (best places are city halls and fire departments; ask them how long it has been inactive for, then ask them if you can get it once they have removed the siren).

2: Ask fire departments/city halls if they once had a siren that is now in storage, and same as said before, ask them if you can have it.

You were on the right track until you said 'ask then if you can have it"
DO NOT ASK FOR FREE SIRENS... Offer them money for it, and they MAY just give it to you, but always make a REASONABLE cash offer.
Asking for free crap is frankly insulting to whoever you are speaking to.
And be in a position to make the purchase when you make the offer.

As far as what to offer. Somewhere between 200 and 500 dollars is a fair number for most abandoned sirens. And it's a number that will get their attention typically.
Now what may happen is the siren will be put on gov deals at that point and you will need to bid on it. And that is gonna be what ever price it brings.
People need to take serious note of this response.

JakeSiren

YouTube Username: SirensOfSouthUSA
Discord: SirensOfSouthLouisiana#6011

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:14 pm

kb8vul wrote:

1: Look for abandoned, broken, or inactive sirens (best places are city halls and fire departments; ask them how long it has been inactive for, then ask them if you can get it once they have removed the siren).

2: Ask fire departments/city halls if they once had a siren that is now in storage, and same as said before, ask them if you can have it.

DO NOT ASK FOR FREE SIRENS... Offer them money for it, and they MAY just give it to you, but always make a REASONABLE cash offer.

As far as what to offer. Somewhere between 200 and 500 dollars is a fair number for most abandoned sirens. And it's a number that will get their attention typically.
Now what may happen is the siren will be put on gov deals at that point and you will need to bid on it. And that is gonna be what ever price it brings.

I own a 2T, it was free. Just ask if it's being sold, then how much. Also, why would a broken siren that can't be fixed be for money except for just display??

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:40 pm

JakeSiren wrote:
I own a 2T, it was free. Just ask if it's being sold, then how much. Also, why would a broken siren that can't be fixed be for money except for just display??
That's a rare thing that doesn't happen often. Me and Luke Grauer were lucky and got ours for free. Things WILL NOT always be free. Always offer money to whoever you're asking.
Also, replying to the broken thing, if you're buying from a fire department or such, they aren't exactly swimming in cash. If they have something they don't use, they will sell it to whoever asks (if they want to) as a way to raise funds for new equipment.
Last edited by championsiren on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeSiren

YouTube Username: SirensOfSouthUSA
Discord: SirensOfSouthLouisiana#6011

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:17 am

championsiren wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:40 pm
JakeSiren wrote:
Makes sense.

Add me of necessary for pictures (on discord)

SirensOfSouthLouisiana#6011

Metrolink_YT

Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:59 am

Hey new Siren Enthusiasts, Welcome to the Siren community. If you are looking for sirens, I would say city halls, fire and police stations, schools, and parks are a good start. They could be any where in the town you are looking in. Drive around or use google maps, find some sirens. Pm me if you need any help and I will help you as best as I can. There is this whole site with people that might be willing to help you as you go. Have an nice day.
Your local Missouri Siren Hunter and Railfan.
Feel free to ask me any questions and I will answer to the best of my ability.
Profile is one of Warsaw's STH-10s.

OHIO Desperado

Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:45 am

JakeSiren wrote:
kb8vul wrote:

First off it's a government asset, meaning they can't just give it away working or not. Second offering reasonable money for it shows commitment to getting it.
And be prepared to get it down from where ever it is IF they sell or give it to you. Do not expect it to not only be free but for them to remove it for you as well.
Getting 200 to 1000 pounds of siren off a pole or a roof is no easy feat. And YOu need to know what you are doing here or you open yourself up for some serious liability.
If someone built up a specific platform in a building to support a heavy roof mounted siren and craned it into place that doesn't mean the whole roof will support that weight. You may well try to move the thing and it punch through the roof. And if it's an old building, it may have been able to support it at one point but not any longer. Your free siren could cost you the 30K replacement of some commercial building roof.

So you need to be prepared to PAY for the removal. A crane ain't cheap, but it's the only safe way of removing any mounted siren. And no crane operator is gonna allow some kid to climb up a pole and try hooking up a siren or anything else to be lifted... you are going to need professionals for this.. and again, not cheap.

You are far better off in the long run to save up your money and then contact West Shore or another siren company and see what they have in the bone yard they will sell you.
And don't think that 200 bucks is gonna get you a fully operational single phase siren of ANY kind. You are gonna need about a grand, a trailer and truck to go get it and someone to drive the truck if you can't. And don't be bothering these people until you have money in hand. They are running a business and don't have a bunch of time for tire kickers and telephone calls about what they have in their bone yard.

MattDean1003

Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:05 pm

Start small, don't go big. I went full on Modulator 6048....and it's going to be recycled as soon as I'm able. I'm in waaaay over my head with the controls, amps, etc.
James M. Dean

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:40 pm

MattDean1003 wrote:
Start small, don't go big. I went full on Modulator 6048....and it's going to be recycled as soon as I'm able. I'm in waaaay over my head with the controls, amps, etc.
Does that happen to be one of the Gainesville units?
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

traintraveler

Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:18 pm

Tyler wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:40 pm
MattDean1003 wrote:
Does that happen to be one of the Gainesville units?
Bumpity bump, looks like I bumped this post.
According to a reply on a YouTube comment he made, yes.
High Hoods!
Lord knows I can't change
Lord, help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

MattDean1003

Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:07 pm

I didn't realize I was bumping a year old thread, my apologies! Yes, it's one of the old Gainesville units. A few people have reached out to try and purchase it from me, but shipping this behemoth across the United States is going to absolutely cost a fortune, and the fiberglass housings have seen better days-fiberglass doesn't last forever out in the elements.

Here's some better advice (note-start small and don't get in over your head still stands)

IF you decide the siren you obtain is a monster of some sorts, a larger siren-be prepared to have help to move it and erect it if you plan to do so. I had an umbilical hernia repaired in January and the recovery has not been fun-it was a month and a half before I could pick up my 4 year old to hug and hold her, and not being able to do that REALLY sucked.

That's relevant because these sirens are heavy, and we aren't made of steel, nor are we Superman, no matter how much we want to be. Take care of your body and when it tells you you're picking up something too heavy, by God listen to it and put it down.

I realize this may be a little cut and dry, but it's sound, honest advice that's to the core. Plus the hospital bill was equally as painful...
James M. Dean

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”